8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2012 12:37 PM by Dave LaRonde

Video/Audio speed unsynced- again

3-1415

This is the exact problem as before:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4841676#4841676(read the entire conversation. it isn't long)

Only this time, the framerate is right. All other info can found in the other post

• 1. Re: Video/Audio speed unsynced- again
          BenjaminMarkus Level 4

Another screenshot of your most recent interpretation settings might be useful here.  However, in the last screenshot of your interpretation settings you had selected Use Frame Rate From File which was 23.970 when it should've been 23.976.  There could be an issue if the frame rate of the file itself was incorrect to begin with.

• 2. Re: Video/Audio speed unsynced- again
            3-1415 Level 1

As I said, I corrected the framerate. It fixed the problem, and now it reappeared.

"the frame rate of the file itself was incorrect to begin with"

Quite possible, but it could also be a malfunction in the intrpretation script.(or whatever it's called)

I'll update the screnshot, and post the settings here

Ae CS6.11.0.0378, I think

Demo version

7,9 g ram allocatable

Win7 proffesional

Only .avi, .m4v, .wav and .mp4, can't tell much more than that

Screenshot coming up.

• 3. Re: Video/Audio speed unsynced- again
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

In that thread, it was never established whether the footage was actually at a 23.976 frame rate; was the footage shot at 24p but still contains pulldown, meaning that it's still at 29.97?

Nor was the codec of the AVI files identified.  AVI's can use interframe codecs.

Nor was it established whether all of the the mp4 files had been transcoded to a lossless codec. 

Nor was it established precisely what's happening in the comp; altering time by using a time effect on an mp4 file can result in less-than-desirable results, for example.

• 4. Re: Video/Audio speed unsynced- again
                3-1415 Level 1

Im afraid I can't answer all of it.

I'm not exactly sure what it really means, but:

Separate Feilds: off

Remove pulldown: off(non-"24p"-alternatives are greyed)

Guess 3:2 pulldown greyed, Guess 24pa pulldown clickable

No messing with time with the .mp4s. In fact, no time adjustments to any video layers.(exept for some frame-frozen ones.)

And I know nothing about the codecs.

Through some trial and error I've been able to determine that the framerate should be above 23.976, but below 23.978. However, I get a 17:18 when I set it to 23.977.

• 5. Re: Video/Audio speed unsynced- again
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

3-1415 wrote:

Im afraid I can't answer all of it.

I'm not exactly sure what it really means, but:

Separate Feilds: off

Remove pulldown: off(non-"24p"-alternatives are greyed)

Guess 3:2 pulldown greyed, Guess 24pa pulldown clickable

If you don't have interlaced footage you cannot remove pulldown. If your footage has pull down added then it is either film transfered to video or video from a camera that adds pulldown to simulate 24p footage. Do you know where the footage came from? I think that's the next question.

• 6. Re: Video/Audio speed unsynced- again
                    Dave LaRonde Level 6

I'm not exactly sure what it really means...

...no time adjustments to any video layers.(exept for some frame-frozen ones.)...

Through some trial and error I've been able to determine that the framerate should be above 23.976, but below 23.978. However, I get a 17:18 when I set it to 23.977.

1. It means that you should highlight your footage in the AE project window and look at the information that appears at the top.  You will find the frame rate, the field order or lack thereof, the media container and the codec.
                    2. A freeze frame is just as much a time adjustment as anything else, especially if an interframe-compressed codec is involved.
                    3. Frame rates are integral parts of technical standards.  In NTSC countries, those rates can be 59.94, 29.97 and 23.976.  There are no others, and you open yourself up to problems by using any others.
                    • 7. Re: Video/Audio speed unsynced- again
                      3-1415 Level 1

I belive it's mostly dvd-rips and tv recordings.

But frame-frozen layers don't play any sound. (or does the effect "spread" to other layers based on the same footage?)

"Frame rates are integral parts of technical standards. In NTSC countries, those rates can be 59.94, 29.97 and 23.976. There are no others, and you open yourself up to problems by using any others." Then why is 23,976 to slow and 23,978 to fast? I'm sure you're right, I'm just confused.

• 8. Re: Video/Audio speed unsynced- again
                        Dave LaRonde Level 6

...I belive it's mostly dvd-rips and tv recordings.

...But frame-frozen layers don't play any sound.

...Then why is 23,976 too slow and 23,978 too fast?

1. A DVD rip and TV recording can be in any media container and codec; this information signifies nothing, but using the procedure mentioned earlier will.
                        2. That's correct: a video layer with an audio track STOPS at a freeze frame; I presume you're using Time Remapping to do it.  Duplicating the layer and removing the time remapping unfreezes the audio; use the video from one layer and the audio from the other layer if you wish.
                        3. Speed changes in a RAM Preview can be caused by many things, changes to layers of certain video codecs included.  There isn't one single explanation, and the lack of useful information keeps us from making authoritative comments.

....all of which leads me to a question: are you trying to use AE intuitively?  It certainly appears so, and you're doing yourself no favors if it's true.  And if it IS true, you owe it to yourself to spend a good deal of quality time HERE.

Pay particular attention to the links at the top, which explain many of the fundamental conceopts behind using AE.