8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2012 1:45 PM by BenjaminMarkus Branched from an earlier discussion.

How to Create Steam

Mr.K8 Level 1

Sorry for partially hijacking the "gusting snow" thread but how would you simulate a realistic hot beverage/soup vapour?

For static camera shots I mainly use footage vapour but for shots where the mug/plate is on the move you obviously need some generated smoke.

I tried particular but, unless I'm not patient enough, the results are not really convincing.

K.

• 1. Re: Gusting snow effect...
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You can't just throw one effect at digital smoke/steam. With Particular (and patience ) you can get pretty close, but you'll need to add other things like vector blur or other blurs and maybe some other effects (depending on the look you want).

Also, you can motion track footage of steam into a moving shot and it usually works quite well.

• 2. Re: Gusting snow effect...
            BenjaminMarkus Level 4

I concur with Szalam.  If the shot is moving you could keyframe your vapour footage to follow the plate/mug or you could save a bunch of time by motion tracking the plate/mug and applying that data to the position of the vapour.  You could also try Particular, or a white solid with turbulent displace. 

Here's a quick test example I made with a photo of a cup animated in After Effects and a masked white solid plus turbulent displace and vector blur.  The resulting steam was just parented to the cup animation, but I recommend using motion tracking for a live shot:

Here's screenshots of the effects settings if you're curious:

Coffee-Cup_1.png

Coffee-Cup_2.png

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Gusting snow effect...
              P_Forrest Level 1

Hey Ben,

Your coffee cup example looked great.  I'm only into snow now (LOL) up here in Canada, but I like the development of this thread to help others.

cheers,

Peter

• 4. Re: Gusting snow effect...
                P_Forrest Level 1

For my snow gusts,  I discovered I can just use "Motion Sketch" and one can create a corkscrew path or whatever and that's good enough for me!!!    I just had to make my original "snow" mask a bit bigger.   

cheers,

Peter

• 5. Re: Gusting snow effect...
                  Mr.K8 Level 1

Ben,

Thanks a lot for your example. Vector blur was an eye opener - I haven't used it much before.

Peter - sorry again for casually sipping coffee when there's a snowstorm raging outside

Best,

K.

• 6. Re: Gusting snow effect...
                    P_Forrest Level 1

Vector blur is very cool!  Great for both gusts of snow and steaming coffee!  

Though, I once put a bottle of Jägermeister in the freezer and I have a great pic of it looking very frosted....and that could be enhanced with AE!  I will look for that cool shot when I'm back home tonight.

Peter

• 7. Re: Gusting snow effect...
                      P_Forrest Level 1

I should make a white frost vapour coming off the Jägermeister bottle in AE!   hehe

jager.jpg

Ok, it's Saturday night.... time to have a shot of Jäger!  hehe

Petey

• 8. Re: Gusting snow effect...
                        BenjaminMarkus Level 4

This thread was branched from an earlier discussion entitled How to Create Gusting Snow and Fog.