7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2012 7:59 AM by the_wine_snob

firewire recognition

christobu

Hi, my Adobe Premiere Elements 11 appeared to load ok, but it doe not recognize a camcorder connected with a firewire.  So when I try to import using the "camera or cardreader" option it gives me a "no device found" message.  Suggestions?  Thank you.

• 1. Re: firewire recognition
          Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

Moving this discussion to the Premiere Elements forum.

• 2. Re: firewire recognition
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What is the brand/model camera?

Does Windows "see" that the camera is connected?

Does your Firewire port use a TI chip  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/940242

• 3. Re: firewire recognition
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What operating  system are you running?

And are you sure you're using a FireWire and not a USB connection to your camcorder?

• 4. Re: firewire recognition
                christobu Level 1

Hi John,

Thanks for the response.  My DV Camera is a Sony Digital 8 DCR-TRV 240.

Regarding Windows, it is interesting that I can use the Windows video capture process to load videos onto an external hard drive.  In Windows Explorer however, it does not show the video camera as an attached device.  Very strange.  I did check to see if the device manager software needed updating but the latest version was recognized and listed as working properly.

It is a 1394 firewire,I have no idea if he port uses a TI chip.  The device manager is listed as RICOH OACI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller.  Where do I find out if it uses a TI chip?

Steve Grisetti (thank you too) asks about the operating system - it is Vista Home version.

I know it is a firewire I am using because it has a very distintive connection and is labeled as such.

• 5. Re: firewire recognition
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Can you capture video with another program -- like Windows Live MovieMaker?

How about the free capture utility WinDV?

This will help determine if the problem is with Premiere Elements or if the problem is that your system isn't recognizing the connection at all.

(BTW, I think you mean OHCI-compliant IEEE-1394. Otherwise, your non-standard card may be the problem.)

• 6. Re: firewire recognition
                    christobu Level 1

To Steve Grisetti and Tom Smith

Problem solved, I think.  Thank you both very much for your willingness to help out.  It turns out that all I needed to do was to identify Adobe Premiere Elements as the "auto play" for the "digital video device".  So now when I hook up the fire wire, the Adobe capture screen automatically pops up.

Interestingly, when I close the program and open Adobe from the desktop, even though the video cam is still connected it will not show up in the Organizer screen as a source.

I guess this is an occupational hazzard for you guys when dealing with newbees.  Sorry about that, but I very much appreciated the help.

Thank you.

christobu

• 7. Re: firewire recognition
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Christobu,

Glad that you have a workflow, that you can live with, and thank you for posting what worked for you.

I have not read of the exact situation, that you outline, but with a workflow, that gets you the recognition and Capture screen, you can at least Capture via PrE.

Thank you,

Hunt