5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2012 2:30 AM by Peter Spier

Eye droper issues

CoGordo4 Level 1

Hello everyone,

I am running into an issue on Indesgin cs5 where sometimes when I try to use the Eye Dropper tool it doesn't pick up the color, or if it does it only picks up the outline color. I have made sure that the eyedropper tool is set to pick up fill color but it doesn't seem to make a differnce. The problems seems to come and go so it it is probably something I am doing. Does any one know of a good, thorough eyedropper tutorial? I have read through the Adobe help on the eye dropper and that didn't really clear anything up. If any one has an idea or a good refernce I would love to know it. Oh and If it helps I am on a mac running Os 10.6.

• 1. Re: Eye droper issues
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Double-click the Eyedropper tool to turn on and off the options you want to select when clicking with the tool.

• 2. Re: Eye droper issues
            CoGordo4 Level 1

Like I siad in the post I already messed with those settings.

• 3. Re: Eye droper issues
              Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You'll have to give us more information. What kind of object are you trying to copy the fill from? Does this happen in one file, or in multiple files?

• 4. Re: Eye droper issues
                Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The problems seems to come and go so it it is probably something I am doing.

Does it ever happen that you have an object from which you simply can't sample the fill color? If so, can you zip up the InDesign file where that object appears and share it? On a service like Dropbox or Yousendit or something similar, I mean. That way, we can download it and confirm for you if it's something buggy about that particular object, or with your install of InDesign, or something else.

Alternately, if you can manage to sample the color of any object, if you try long enough, it's probably the way you are using the tool. I must confess that I am not a regular user of the eyedropper tool, but if you give us example objects we can try to recreate your experience on our own machines and maybe give you some eyedropper-usage pointers.

• 5. Re: Eye droper issues
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It's also remotely possible your preferences are corrupt (though I suspect Joel is correct). You can try replacing them following the directions here: Replace Your Preferences