5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2012 8:58 AM by ECBowen

Macbook Pro or Desktop for CS6 Studio?

DTBD Films

I've just switched from FCP and am trying to decide b/t three options. I'll be using Premiere mostly, but with a bit of AE, Photoshop, and probably some others once I learn them. So the options are:

1- Desktop #1

3.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7

32 gigs RAM

EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD Superclocked 1280 MB GDDR5 Graphics Card (or a EVGA GeForce GTX570 HD 2560MB GDDR5 SLI Ready Graphics Card)

120-250 SSD as boot

Gigabyte Intel Z77 Dual Thunderbolt ATX Motherboard

Video video storage through external SSD through USB3.0 (Thunderbolt possibly later)

- can't do internal for video storage. Will have to buy two desktops, one for work and one for home.

2- Desktop #2

3.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i5

16 gigs RAM

EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Superclocked 1024 MB GDDR5 SLI Ready Graphics Card

120-250 SSD as boot

Gigabyte Intel H77 LGA 1155 AMD CrossFireX DVI/HDMI Dual UEFI BIOS ATX Motherboard

Video video storage through external SSD through USB3.0 (Thunderbolt possibly later)

- can't do internal for video storage. Will have to buy two desktops, one for work and one for home.

3- 2012 nonRetina Macbook Pro

2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

16 gigs RAM

512 SSD as boot

Video drive will either be another internal SSD (with an OWC data doubler) or external with a SSD through USB3.0 (Thunderbolt possibly later)

Intertestingly, two of the Desktop #1 would only be slightly more expensive than the Macbook Pro and I could get 3 of the Desktop #2 for the same price. I would have to buy 2 of the desktops if I went that route as I need a solution for work and home.

So, what I really want to know is what would be the performance difference amongst the three options. I would image the desktop solutions would be faster than the Macbook Pro (believe they have better video cards) but how much faster practically? I like the options of a portable studio in a laptop, but lugging it around is tiresome and the performance of my 2009 17" MBP (8 gigs RAm, Core2Duo 2.8, 1 TB 5400 Boot, 750GB video drive in Data Doubler) has been way too slow in FCP.

Thanks ahead of time for any thoughts or suggestions!

• 1. Re: Macbook Pro or Desktop for CS6 Studio?
          JFPhoton Level 3

......windows i7 3930 desktop with 32GBminimum system memory,plus Nvidia 660ti video card,or, 680 ( best).  256GB ssd for os, programs and windows pagefile.    2 onboard RAID 0's of 2 - 7,200RPM drives each.  One RAID for previews, media cache, media cache database.

Second RAID : all footage,( media). Of course.....then, a large backup disk for your original media.....the RAID containing footage is for performance. Export can be made to to the RAID which has previews for fast performance.

Go to PPBM5 website to see the video benchmark test results of many different systems.   Full tower case and gold, beefy power supply........forget laptop....even best one is 3 times slower than a fast desktop!!

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Macbook Pro or Desktop for CS6 Studio?
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The Desktop performance would always be considerably higher than Mobile at around 25% or more depending on the Desktop configuration. The only reason to get Mobile is if you require Mobile.

Eric

ADK

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Macbook Pro or Desktop for CS6 Studio?
              DTBD Films Level 1

Thank you both for the help. The problem is I need either portability or duplicates. I live and work in different cities and I edit in all of them so I need either a laptop to drag around everyday or 3 separate workstations (1 for home in city #1, 1 for home in city #2, and 1 for my office in city #2). I love the idea you suggested, JFPhoton, about the RAID 0, but it's probably too problematic in my situation. I'd have to have 3 separate RAID 0s set up and duplicate media on them as well. This would like result in confusion at some point trying to make sure they're all identical. So, even if I went with the 3 workstations, I'd need portable storage and was considering a two drive SSD raid.

It's an odd situation, for sure. So what I was wondering is which is a better solution, ie are the workstations really that much better that they're worth the extra money, is the laptop's performance going to annoy me the way it current does trying to edit ProRes 1080p on a single HDD, etc. Any thoughts?

• 5. Re: Macbook Pro or Desktop for CS6 Studio?
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Yes the Workstations are that much better performance if configured correctly. You can edit with laptops however you will be rendering the timeline more often for preview and your export times will take longer. If that is acceptable then a laptop is viable. Also there are more than enough external drive options for Laptops including MBP's.

Eric

ADK