1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 2, 2006 1:15 AM by tdriley

animation technique question

Opera Rat Level 1
      I'm puzzled as to how to do this in director. All that I want to do is have a letter "X" drawn on the stage, one line of the x after the other, as if someone were writing it. My stage has a textured background and there is text (so I want the x to be drawn over the text). I've tried to make the beginning of the tween start from the upper left corner, but then the x begins very narrow and gets fatter as it reaches the lower right corner. It would seem that I want a mask to move over one line from the top down and then the next line has a mask which starts from the other corner and moves over the line. But I just can't seem to figure out what Director means by mask and how to create an invisible mask over my text and textured background.

Any ideas?
        • 1. Re: animation technique question
          tdriley
          Maybe you're making it too complicated for yourself?

You could create a small bitmap sprite that will act as a "pencil tip". Click the "Trails" button in the sprite properties, then animate the the sprite from top left to bottom right - that will "draw" your first line of the X. Then repeat the process the opposite way to complete your X.

Hope that helps!