3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2012 9:15 AM by nina123x RSS

QWERTZ vs QWERTY shortcut dilemma

nina123x

Hi, I am a student who is going to buy a laptop with a QWERTZ keyboard. So far I have always used a QWERTY keyboard but anyway...I was wondering what changes to expect on a QWERTZ keyboard when accessing shortcuts for either Photoshop, Illustrator and inDesign. Any ideas? Thanks

• 1. Re: QWERTZ vs QWERTY shortcut dilemma
          Steve Fairbairn Community Member

There are many kinds of keyboard layouts (I have never seen a QWERTZ one though).

Here for example is the one I use:

keyboard.png

I think the best thing you can do is to experiment.

For example Cmd+Y is for showing or hiding the preview – very commonly used.

See if Z works like Y on your keyboard (where is Y on a QWERTZ?).

I know for example that > on my keyboard should be held down for moving patterns manually.

The standard US/UK keyboard uses the tilde key for this (which I haven’t got except by holding down lots of keys together to make a tilde).

• 2. Re: QWERTZ vs QWERTY shortcut dilemma
            Monika Gause CommunityMVP

I'm using a QWERTZ layout (standard German layout).

Simply said: a lot of shortcut keys of US (or English) software versions are unusable in this layout. This doesn't concern shortcuts like Cmd + Y or Cmd + Q (you could change those anyway if you deserve so). But shortcuts for manipulating the shapes when creating a star or spiral and stuff like that can't be changed.

• 3. Re: QWERTZ vs QWERTY shortcut dilemma
              nina123x Community Member

Thank you very much - both of your replies were helpful! I have decided to buy a normal QWERTY keyboard for less confusion and hassle