6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2012 9:50 AM by JJMack

Masks and Photoshop animation

amebade05 Level 1

Hello all,

I am have an issue creating an effect as a frame by frame animation using masks. I have been assigned a logo animation with a lower thirds by my art director. I am not working on After Effects because my knowledge of AE is zilch. I am fairly new to trying out Photoshop's video capabilities, but my ultimate goal is to export my animation as a transparent .MOV file for the video editor to overlay the logo over an interview video they are producing. Because it needs to be overlayed, my .MOV has to be transparent. I have figured out how to export my file with an alpha transparency just fine, but my issue is in the animation part.

The idea behind the logo animation is to have the letters reveal one by one. Imagine a script font with the words My Logo- I was thinking of masking the layer with the logo on it and revealing each letter one by one by painting the letters with white. Therefore, I created my first frame (I'm on the frame-by-frame dialog by the way), and my logo is completely hidden by the mask on the 1st frame. I create a second frame and I begin painting my letters one by one as I add more frames. The problem when I try to do this is that when I begin revealing my logo on the 2nd frame, the 1st frame reveals itself! The 1st frame isn't hidden as I had it, but begins revealing itself as I paint the 2nd frame!

This is my fictional logo I am animating:

Screen.jpg

The first frame shows my logo hidden by a mask with the 1st frame active.

Screen shot 2012-11-29 at 2.29.43 PM.png

Second frame is created and I begin revealing my letters by painting my mask so that it is recorded on the 2nd frame. ISSUE: The 1st frame, rather than keeping my letters hidden, it is beginning to reveal my letters such as in my 2nd frame!

Screen shot 2012-11-29 at 2.30.39 PM.png

Anyone have any thoughts on why I can't keep my 1st frame hidden? Any masking animation tutorial links would be most welcomed. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Masks and Photoshop animation
          amebade05 Level 1

Anyone, please?

I just want to know if animating masks in Photoshop is even possible at all? How else can I achieve the effect I'm looking for if I can't animate my mask?

• 2. Re: Masks and Photoshop animation
            Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't recall masks being animatable, however you could put each character onto its own layer and animate the opacity of that layer. It may require you to be in the timeline mode though.

• 3. Re: Masks and Photoshop animation
              Silkrooster Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Been playing with masks a bit and using the timeline mode, you can move a mask or turn on or off.

• 4. Re: Masks and Photoshop animation
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Masks are not animatable in PS, but they are in AE. Considering the simplicity of what you are trying to do, I'm not sure why you are so afraid of using AE. This merely requires watching a single tutorial and reading the "Getting Started" pages on the online help...

Mylenium

• 5. Re: Masks and Photoshop animation
                  JJMack Most Valuable Participant

You may be better off just creating you logo and animating it like a banner coming onto your image image using tween. Position you logo off screen. then on screen and have Photoshop generate frames between them. Something like the one I did through the clouds a while back in the forum.

[ CloudLogo ]

I think I just created a layer masks  to show the clouds to show through in places. The layes mask was not linked to the layers content so when the logo  moved the mask did not.  You also be able to have your logo not move and have photoshop do the tween where you move the layer mask and leave the logo in place. So you logo goes from hidden to being revealed by a moving black mask off the logo. I do know if Photoshop would generate the mask coming onto the canvas as white when you move the black area off the logo.

[ MyLogo ]

Yes worked fine single text layer with a layer mask that was moved off text and tween used so Photoshop would generate mask between the two. I used a white background none is needed. Gif support 256 colors one can be transparent however partial tranparency a like drop shows would be done by deterring and not be partrial transparency.

• 6. Re: Masks and Photoshop animation
                    JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Mylenium wrote:

Masks are not animatable in PS, but they are in AE. Considering the simplicity of what you are trying to do, I'm not sure why you are so afraid of using AE. This merely requires watching a single tutorial and reading the "Getting Started" pages on the online help...

Mylenium

Simple to do Photoshop  adding  After effects would cost me $1000.  $1000 is not simplicity for me.