6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2012 8:50 AM by fipsey

I am at my wits end

fipsey

I have installed Adobe Digital Editions. Both my Computer and Device were successfully activated. Downloaded a book from the library to ADE. Transferred it to my device successlfully. But I cannot open it on my device. Message says"Oops! This document (it is a book not a document) couldn't be opened. It is protected by Adobe Digital Rights Management (DRM) and is not currently authorized for use with your Adobe ID. Please sign in with the authorized Adobe ID and try again. I tried and still get the same message.Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong..I have no problem with books I have bought only with this one I got from the library.

I forgot to mention that I have the Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 version installed

• 1. Re: I am at my wits end
          Frustrated in AZ Level 4

A computer truism: if everything works BUT one thing, then there's

something wrong with that thing.  I suspect that the library ebook has

digital rights set so that it cannot be copied.  You can check this by

bringing up ADE in Library mode, and hovering your cursor over the small

arrow next to the ebook's name.  A drop-down menu will appear, and you

click on 'Item Info'.  Another menu will appear, and the digital rights for

the ebook are displayed in the middle.  I'm thinking that copying is not

allowed, and that's what's keeping you from reading the ebook on your

device.

===========

• 2. Re: I am at my wits end
            fipsey Level 1

Thanks for your reply Frustrated in AZ.

I have just done as you suggested and the results are ;

Permissions:

Viewing on any device until 20/12/12,

Copying not allowed,

Printing not allowed.

This ereader is a KOBO Mini and when I checked Adobe to see what readers it supports KOBO was listed.

I have spent so much time on this I have just  about given up

• 3. Re: I am at my wits end
              Frustrated in AZ Level 4

I'm afraid I have some bad news.  If copying is not allowed, you're not

going to be able to get the ebook to your KOBO ereader.  The ebook's

digital rights won't allow it.

You can still read it on your computer, of course.  And you could contact

your source for the ebook and see if they will change the digital rights

and allow you to download the ebook again.

=============

• 4. Re: I am at my wits end
                fipsey Level 1

I was under the impression that if the book was an EPUB and if it allows viewing on any device it should be ok. I thought copying meant that you could not make a copy of the book.

I just checked a book (not the same title) on another device with the same permissions and I could open it with no problem. I am wondering if there is something with the newer version of ADE that is causing the problem.

The book I checked on a different reader was loaded before I upgraded to ADE 2.0

I guess I can't use reference booksfrom the library

Thanks anyway

• 5. Re: I am at my wits end
                  Jim_Lester Level 4

The copying that dialog refers to is copy/paste of text.  The key phrase in that dialog is 'viewing on any device'. which means this isn't a perms promblem.

At  first guess you are not using ADE to transfer the content, and Kobo is handling the resulting error badly.

• 6. Re: I am at my wits end
                    fipsey Level 1

Thank you Jim Lester

So even if I have ADE open and the book iis showing in the ADE library when I click and drag it to my reader it is not being transfer though ADE?