3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2006 11:41 AM by inlineblue

STILL dosen't install!!!!

pfb1051
      I tried 2 betas, java-based installer was just an empty grey box.
      I hoped they would lose that installer for the final.

I download the demo,
      STILL nothing!!!

C'mon guys lose the BS Java-based stuff. java is B.S.!!!
      It dosen't work on every box, so you cut yourself off by makng this java-based.

I don't want to have to re-install my ENTIRE OS just so I can get java working, so I can run your installer.

Is there more java in Flex Builder??

Is Java required to run this applicaton?

If so, that really sucks.
        • 1. Re: STILL dosen't install!!!!
          C. Agruss (Adobe) Level 3
          Hi,

I'm sorry you don't like Java.

Flex Builder is based on Eclipse, the open-source Java IDE, so yes Java really is required. The installer includes its own Java bootstrapper, so you don't need to have Java installed to run it. It will also install a dedicated, compatible version of the JRE for use with Flex Builder.

If you'll send me your machine configuration info, I can help you get it up and running. If you can find any Flex Builder install logs in your temp folder, please send them along too, as that would be a good place to start troubleshooting.

C. Agruss, Flex Builder Team
          • 2. Re: STILL dosen't install!!!!
            pfb1051 Level 1
            The INSTALLER dosen't even work!!
            All I get is a blank, grey window for the installer.

Anyhow, word is out there that the flash 9 player is crashing flash 8 stuff.
            I'll wait until there is a more final version, It's too soon after release and too many things have changed.

And when I do I'll just use the command line compiler and notepad.

But since it's impossible to get java working on my box without a COMPLETE re-install of my OS.
            Flex Builder isn't worth that much work.

bad 1st impression Adobe.

Flex Bulder look like garbage to me.
            • 3. Re: STILL dosen't install!!!!
              inlineblue Level 1
              quote:

Originally posted by: pfb1051
              But since it's impossible to get java working on my box without a COMPLETE re-install of my OS.
              Flex Builder isn't worth that much work.

bad 1st impression Adobe.

Flex Bulder look like garbage to me.

This is a rather amusing rant. You can't (or can't be bothered to) get Java to work on your machine, so somehow this reflects badly on Adobe. You might just be trolling, but in either case, it did give me an entertaining moment.

Oh btw, the command-line compiler is also a Java application. Guess you just can't win, huh?