9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2012 8:33 PM by Jon Chappell

Massive Project files

Robert Alon-Monks Level 1

I have noticed that adobe premiere project files are really big..  so big that often the save time is over a minute?   why are they so big...  FCP project files are a tenth of the size?  its really frustrating when you are working with a client and it autosaves and takes ages...  has anyone else found this?

• 1. Re: Massive Project files
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Please define 'really big'. For instance a project with around 6.5 hours of HDV, AVCHD and Canon MXF material (1860 clips) and several stills is less than 32 MB and that does not rank as 'really big' in my book.

• 2. Re: Massive Project files

82mb for a 6 minutes sequence and a 4 minute seq with about 4 hours of footage at hdv.. for comparision a project with 5 15 min suqences and 45 hours of material at proress 422 hq and canon mxf and some go pro in fcp is 7.5 mb...

• 3. Re: Massive Project files
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Have you used Warp Stabilizer? That is known to increase project size significantly.

• 4. Re: Massive Project files

yeah i read this.. and yes i have...  its frustrating as that tool is really good.. works really well..  im guessing that the 'render' files or what ever are stored in the project file?  would be better to store these on a media drive i would have thought... 

• 5. Re: Massive Project files
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

An alternative location for whatever files are needed for the Warp Stabilizer does not solve the issue. Those files are still needed whether they come from location A or B. Implicitly I gather you are requesting for better algorithms  in the Warp Stabilizer to reduce CPU/GPU load during the analysis process and better data handling in storing those data. I agree with those views, but it may take some time. Afterall, this is only the first edition of the Warp Stabilizer.

• 6. Re: Massive Project files

yeah you got it...  thats what i mean...  those files are needed and so yes its the storing of the data and algorithms that need attention... I have an issue only because i use dropbox to sync project between suites and as they are big files its taking a long time to upload...  I Understand its a first version of it and was just interested if it was a fault with me something that is a 'feature'.   ill just use another program to do a  stabilise and export a quicktime and import into premiere..  that should help the file size.   least i know its not something im doing wrong!!

• 7. Re: Massive Project files
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

im guessing that the 'render' files or what ever are stored in the project file?

They're not really "rendered" media, but analysis data required for the stabilizer to do it's job.  As that data is required for the effect to work, I'm not sure it makes sense to store it anywhere but the project file.  The first time someone sends a project with the effect over to another editor, and all the Warp Stabilized clips have to be reanalyzed, you know editors are gonna throw up a big stink.  "I already spend an hour stabilizing these clips, why does my assistant editor have to do it all over again?!"

• 8. Re: Massive Project files

well yeah thats a good point...  but.. and i hate to bring fcp up again here...  fcp does a similar thing to warp stabilize and the projects are not big at all..  im guessing that the data required to do the stabilize is in the project. but the actual finished stabilize is saved as a render file on media drives..  not saying its a better way to do it.. its just what ive been used to i guess and has worked well with my workflow.. so when the project is passed the project points the new edit suite to the relevant stabilized media if that makes sense..

• 9. Re: Massive Project files
                          Jon Chappell Level 3

FCP stores the information in separate files. It does not create new media but other edit systems will be able to see the cache file if it is in the right location. This isn't possible when going off-site though.