5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2012 9:43 AM by conroy

Quickest way to create a textured Ground Plane

tomaugerdotcom Level 1

I was pretty much expecting to see a Ground Plane object in the scene explorer, but no such beast exists. My spirits were briefly lifted by finding a Ground Plane section in the Environments palette, but that does not allow you to attach texture maps to the ground plane, only a solid color.

Am I missing a Create Ground Plane command or menu item?

If such a thing doesn't exist (for shame, Adobe), could someone post the very quickest way to create a textured, infinite ground plane (imagine, for example, a tiled floor or a wooden floor that extends all the way off into the horizon)?

Many thanks!

• 1. Re: Quickest way to create a textured Ground Plane
          Noel Carboni Level 8

First, let me say I'm no 3D expert, having started to dabble with it at the release of Photoshop CS6.

I recently struggled with that myself as well, and I ultimately had to paint a woodgrain across the bottom of my IBL image to accomplish a similar effect in an image where I was rendering a polished chrome stopwatch on a wood desk and wanted woodgrain in the reflections.

I'm sorry I don't have an answer, but I'll be watching this thread for tips as well.

-Noel

• 2. Re: Quickest way to create a textured Ground Plane
            conroy Level 5

A Postcard object rotated 90 deg about its X axis then dropped to ground level will give you a ground object. A texture can be tiled (a maximum of) 10 times in each direction on the Postcard, then if the Postcard is scaled by 1000% in both directions, you'll have a ground covered by 100 tiles of a texture at original size, which may be large enough, depending on camera angle and other objects in the scene. You could tile Postcards, too, but Photoshop has ridiculously poor precision in its 3D transformations, which will make gaps between tiles.

• 3. Re: Quickest way to create a textured Ground Plane
              Noel Carboni Level 8

That's a cool idea.  If not the surface of the Earth at least it could be the surface of a table, and the IBL could take care of the outside world.

-Noel

• 4. Re: Quickest way to create a textured Ground Plane
                tomaugerdotcom Level 1

Hey, thanks for the response, conroy. This is probably what I would have done too, except that it doesn't create an infinite plane, so if you have a very low camera angle, you'll see the "dropoff" where the postcard ends in the positive Z direction. Is there an inifinte plane object in PS?

• 5. Re: Quickest way to create a textured Ground Plane
                  conroy Level 5

tomaugerdotcom wrote:

Hey, thanks for the response, conroy. This is probably what I would have done too, except that it doesn't create an infinite plane, so if you have a very low camera angle, you'll see the "dropoff" where the postcard ends in the positive Z direction

Well, that's exactly why I said "depending on camera angle and other objects in scene".

Is there an inifinte plane object in PS?

No, there's no infinite plane except for catching shadows and showing reflections. Obviously, I wouldn't have wasted time with that workaround if there was a texturable infinite plane. .