11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2012 4:55 AM by PhotoCap

No Thumbnails for AVI files in organizer

PhotoCap Level 1

My AVI Video clips are not showing thumbnails in the PSE 11 Orgazizer.

Here is what I have observed as I have been troubleshooting this:

The files are MJPEG.

When I double click on it in the organizer window, I get audio, but no video.

If I open the file for edit in Premier Elements, the video thumbnail shows up in project assests and the video correctly plays in the Premier Elements editor.

If I double click on the files in Windows Explorer they open up in Quicktime Version 7.

The thumbnails for the files show in up windows explorer when I browse to the folder they are in.

I selected a file in PSE, chose 'Export to New File" and the file that I created by doing that showed a generic Quicktime icon without the thumbnail in windows explorer. When I double click on that file it correctly plays in Quicktime.

Selecting "Update Thumbnail" has no effect.

Thumnails are corrctly showing for .mov, .mpg and .mp4 file types.

Any one have any ideas what is going on with the organizer that might be causing this beavior or is this a know limitation of PSE Organizer. What is the point of having the organizer supporting video If I can't see the video without opening it in the Premier Elements Editor?

I am providing the "Systems Info" if that helps anyone. 

Elements Organizer 11.0.0.0

Core Version: 11.0 (20120923.r.32287)

Language Version: 11.0 (20120923.r.32287)

Current Catalog:

Catalog Name: My Catalog

Catalog Location: C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\My Catalog\

Catalog Size: 49.1MB

Catalog Cache Size: 578.7MB

System:

Operating System Name: Vista

Operating System Version: 6.0 Service Pack 2

System Architecture: Intel CPU Family:6 Model:7 Stepping:7 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP

Built-in Memory: 3.9GB

Free Memory: 905.8MB

Important Drivers / Plug-ins / Libraries:

Microsoft DirectX Version: 9.0

Apple QuickTime Version: 7.73

Adobe Reader Version: 10.1

Adobe Acrobat Version: Not installed

CD and DVD drives:

E: (HL-DT-ST DVDRAM BUS: 1 ID: 1 Firmware: GH24LS50)

• 1. Re: No Thumbnails for AVI files in organizer
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements doesn't work well with MJPEG-AVIs.

I'd recommend you convert the file, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 2. Re: No Thumbnails for AVI files in organizer
            PhotoCap Level 1

Thanks,

I will give that a try.  Actually, they work well with the Premiere editor, the only problem I am seeing is they dont show thumbnails in the organizer.  They are actually old clips, many of which are not worth keeping anyway, but I was looking forward to using organizer to help me find the keepers.  The lack of thumbnails makes that impossible. 

• 3. Re: No Thumbnails for AVI files in organizer
              PhotoCap Level 1

Note:  I have posted this in the PSE forum as well

I do have Roxio Creator 2010 installed on the same computer. I checked those same files in that software and they all showed up with the red circle with the line thorugh it. When I tried to open them I got a message stating that they could not be edited. This may be a clue to the problem however, I keep going back to the fact that the videos work fine in the PrE editor, including showing the thumbnails in the Project Assets. So I know the codec is on the machine. It is using the AVID codec per Gspot.

• 4. Re: No Thumbnails for AVI files in organizer
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Avid as in Pinnacle?

Install a proper mjpeg codec that might give you thumbnails.

http://www.mainconcept.com/products/apps-plug-ins/codecs-conversion/motion-jpeg.html

Demo is sufficient if you do not want to export as mjpeg.

• 5. Re: No Thumbnails for AVI files in organizer
                  PhotoCap Level 1

Thanks.  Not sure that is the real problem, but I will give it a try.  I keep coming back to the fact that these videos work well and play well in the editor.  I have gotten responses that tell me they don't work well, I should convert them, etc. etc., but all of these ignore the fact that it does work in the editor (including thumbnails in the editor).  I am trying to figure out why the editor works but not the organizer.  I suspect this is a registry issue but I don't know where to begin looking.

• 6. Re: No Thumbnails for AVI files in organizer

If Bill's suggestion doesn't work, then there probably is no solution.

MJPEGs are video files created by still cameras and, as I've said, they're not supported by most higher-end video editors. So you probably won't be able to see the thumbnails in the Organizer.

• 7. Re: No Thumbnails for AVI files in organizer
                      PhotoCap Level 1

Did I miss Bill's suggestion?

Also, I know I am starting to sound like a broken record.  I  also don't want to sound ungrateful to all the people who are offering me advice, but everyone keeps telling me that MJPEG's are not supported yet, other people are telling me they get MJPEG Video clips to show thumbanails and I am getting thumbnails in the Editor and the files can be edited and edited well.  I notice no difference between the AVI MJPEGs and the MPEG files in the editor, both work very  well.  Please stop telling me this is not supported. I know these problems are hard to figure out, so I understand if everyone is as stumped as me.   Apparently it is possible to support these files, I just may have the wrong codec or it is installed incorrectly.  I know these types of problems are almost impossible to track down, but I am not ready to give up just yet.

• 8. Re: No Thumbnails for AVI files in organizer

What we keep trying to say is that MJPEGs are not officially supported, PhotoCap.

That means that if you see them in your Organizer and can work with them, then it's the luck of your computer's configuration. But if it doesn't work, then it doesn't -- and there's very little chance you can make it work.

So you're welcome to keep banging on this as much as you want. But just know that there are no guarantees.

• 9. Re: No Thumbnails for AVI files in organizer
                          PhotoCap Level 1

Thanks Steve,

That is certainly a fair statement and I appreciate your candor.  I can be stubborn but you are correct.  I have fixed problems like this before and I have problems that never get fixed.  If I make it work I will share my results with the forum.  If anyone has any crazy ideas to try I am open to them.

• 10. Re: No Thumbnails for AVI files in organizer
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

I do not use Organizer, but instead Adobe Bridge (included with some other Adobe programs, like Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and Premiere Pro), or ThumbsPlus (Cerious Software), and find that some AV formats/CODEC's just do not display thumbnails. I have had that issue with some, like MPEG-1 files, some WMV files, almost anything with DivX, or Xvid.

I have not used any MJPEG files, so cannot comment on them, but have helped others Import and edit those (never tried to work with any in Organizer, Bridge or ThumbsPlus), and in those cases, it usually boiled down to having the exact MJPEG CODEC installed. As each camera mfgr. seems intent on tweaking the MJPEG CODEC, it is normally possible to Import and edit, if THAT particular MJPEG CODEC is installed, and usually from the camera's utiltiy disc. Other times, the generic Morgan, or MainConcept MJPEG CODEC's have worked - though that seems to be less often, as Nikon, Panasonic, and others, keep tweaking.

As for the display of any problem AV files, it is usually an inability of the organizing utility to find a proper display, though in some cases, there IS a display, but the first Frame of the AV file is black, with a Dip-to-Black (in this case basically a Fade-in) Transition.

Good luck, and I wish that I had a fail-safe way to always display a thumbnail for ALL AV files, and even better, the ability to set the Poster Frame to what I wanted. So far, no organizer utility, that I have seen, can display thumbs for ALL AV formats - some will handle some AV formats/CODEC's, that others will not, but none has been perfect.

Hunt

• 11. Re: No Thumbnails for AVI files in organizer
                              PhotoCap Level 1

SOLVED!!!

I wanted to thank everyone for their sugestions.  After troubleshooting I was able to resolve the issue by updating the DivX codec then selecting "Update Thumbnails." in the organizer. 

I now have thumbnails for all my AVI (MJPEG) clips.