3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2012 11:44 AM by Peter Spier

How do you create a 2-sided text frame?

mr_yi

I just want the stroke on the top and bottom. I followed a discussion showing how make a 3-sided text frame but am having trouble trying to create a 2-sided frame.

Seems like there should be a framing option (working with graphical style) to do locked/unlocked stroke sides and the desired stroke width instead of having to manually direct select, drag and delete anchor point.

• 1. Re: How do you create a 2-sided text frame?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

There are some tricks that can be done with paragraph rules, and there may be a plugin that can do this, but out-of-the-box ID does not have the ability to stroke only two sides of a frame. You could use a table, perhaps, with a single cell and add the strokes to that.

• 2. Re: How do you create a 2-sided text frame?
            mr_yi Level 1

What would be an example using |P rules?

I'll try the table solution.

this (from Muse) box for stroke options would be a helpful addition to stroke options on ID

Screen Shot 2012-11-30 at 1.19.56 PM.png

• 3. Re: How do you create a 2-sided text frame?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Uing rules you can add a rule above and a rule below, Rule Above inthe color you want for your stroke, and rule below in Paper (I think I have it correct as to which is which). You adjust the weight, size and position of the two so that the paper rule blocks out all but the two lines you want to leave visible from the other rule.

This is a very time-consuming exercise and does not lend itself to later editing of the text, nor will it work if a paragraph crosses a coloumen or page boundary.