11 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2012 9:27 PM by Jim_Simon

Minimum trim duration??

Allynn Wilkinson Level 2

Okay... I'm trying to get used to Premiere's multicam.  I'm trying to get used to not having any through markers.  But this "minimum trim duration" is starting to kill me! 

min_trim.jpg

No matter if I drag the incoming clip to the left or the outgoing clip to the right, I still get an infuriating, one-frame flash frame!  The only thing I can do is zoom in to single frame level, right-click and change the camera angle!  Seriously?  Is this seriously the way you're supposed to deal with this?

What is the purpose of a "minimum trim duration"?  Apart from making my life miserable , of course.

• 1. Re: Minimum trim duration??
          Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Sorry this is irritating you. It's a great feature request, though: http://www.adobe.com/go/wish

• 2. Re: Minimum trim duration??
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Given Kevin's response I don't know if this will matter much, but...I don't understand the issue.

• 3. Re: Minimum trim duration??
              Allynn Wilkinson Level 2

Ok... so it's a "feature", I get that.  But what is it supposed to do, exactly?

• 4. Re: Minimum trim duration??
                Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

He wants to be able to trim that last frame.

• 5. Re: Minimum trim duration??
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

You mean delete the whole clip by trimming?

If so, it seems the current methods of deleting a clip are sufficient and Adobe's limited resources are best spent elsewhere.

• 6. Re: Minimum trim duration??
                    Allynn Wilkinson Level 2

Jim, sure... okay.

I have a multicam sequence that has camera switching edited but now I'm adding something (PowerPoint slides) to an upper track and I realize that I want to change some of the camera angles to better accomodate the slides. 

Let's say I have the sequence: CamA -- CamB -- CamA  and I've decided that I want to make the whole thing CamA.  Everything I've read here says all you have to do is drag the in point of the second CamA clip to the left until it matchs up with the outgoing point of the first CamA clip (or even all the way over to the In point of the first CamA clip to make an unbroken clip).  Trouble is, I can't. 

I get down to one frame of the offending CamB clip and it just won't go away!  Of course, when I'm zoomed out and editing I don't notice this but when I watch it play back I get a flash frame.  The only thing I can do is zoom in to the single frame level, right click on the CamB clip and either delete it and pull up a CamA or right-click and change the angle to CamA.

I sort of noticed this problem a while back but I wasn't sure what was happening.  Today I had to insert 55 PowerPoint slides (that we didn't know we were getting) into a finished edit.  Between this and the other issue I posted about "fit clip" defaults, I wanted to tear my hair out!

I especially don't get why "minimum trim duration" exists.  What is it supposed to do for you?

• 7. Re: Minimum trim duration??
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Trouble is, I can't. 

Now I get it.  The real trouble is you're not doing it the right way.  You don't need a trim mode for this.  Just delete the B and second A clips entirely, then drag the end of the first A clip over.  This is done in the normal sequence using the normal Selection Tool (V).

I especially don't get why "minimum trim duration" exists.

To prevent you from accidentally deleting a clip entirely when trimming.  If you want to delete a clip, you delete it, you don't trim it away.

• 8. Re: Minimum trim duration??
                        Allynn Wilkinson Level 2

Sure.  If I knew I wanted to delete the CamB clip.  But I'm editing here (and someone else's edit to boot) so I want to try things out.  Maybe shorten CamB a bit.  Who knows?  No reason to commit to anything right away.  If I delete CamB immediately and then decide I want part of it back I've got to blade through CamA, change angles, finesse it around and so on.

The real problem is Premiere doesn't show through edits!  In FCP 7 I would clearly see (with through edit arrows) if I have a "cut" that is actually the same camera angle.  In Premiere I can't.  This results (at best) in a messy timeline.  At worst, with this "minimum trim duration" feature, flash frames (or constant zooming).

Someone please tell me what is the purpose of a "minimum trim edit"?  Really, that's all I want to know.  Why is it there? Who uses it?  How do they use it?  What is it supposed to be protecting me from? 

I'm willing ot change my style of editing to fit the logic of the program but I don't see the logic of this.

• 9. Re: Minimum trim duration??
                          Jim_Simon Level 8

You could put the B clip on a higher track and turn off the track eyeball so clips don't show though.  This gives you an easy return to the old edit.

• 10. Re: Minimum trim duration??
                            Allynn Wilkinson Level 2

'cept it's a multicam.  Sort of deteats the point

I've come to the conclusion that any and all video editing programs should display some kind of large, red, animated FLAG whenever there is a single frame of video (or black).  That would solve a lot of problems.  Yeah... that's what I want, a big ol' wavin' red flag!    I'll stick that in the wish list and see how long it takes!

• 11. Re: Minimum trim duration??
                              Jim_Simon Level 8

'cept it's a multicam.  Sort of deteats the point

Well, if you want to let that stop you from achieving the goal, I suppose that's your choice.