6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2012 6:34 AM by flbreen

six core vs quad core

flbreen Level 1

Is an intel six core cpu 1.5 times better than a intel quad core cpu? When I am using media encoder to produce an hour long HD mp4 file with gpu acceleration would the processing time be significantly less with the six core cpu?

• 1. Re: six core vs quad core
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Depends whether you overclock the 6 core or not. If not then the increase would not be nearly as significant as if you did.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: six core vs quad core
            flbreen Level 1

Let's compare non-overclocked systems.

• 3. Re: six core vs quad core
              ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Non overclocked systems would only be around 10 to 15% difference on codecs such as AVCHD. The codecs really decide how many threads are ideal for playback and export. The non GPU accelerated effects will also increase the threading amount required for ideal encoding speeds. I would suggest making the move but if you are looking for 50%, it will not be that much for most things outside of AE.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: six core vs quad core
                flbreen Level 1

On my non-overclockrd quad core system building a DVD or producing an mp4 file pushes the 8 logical cpu upto a constant 100% usage. Would not 4 additional logical CPUs give me a lot more processing speed if they all run at 100%?

• 5. Re: six core vs quad core
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

Francis,

Ideally speaking you are correct, but in real life it often does not work out that way. Generally you can expect around 35-45% increase of a hexa core over a quad core, but only if the processes are nicely threaded and there are no other bottlenecks in your system. That is hardly the case and that is why in practice the gains are often smaller, due to other bottlenecks appearing (disk I/O, memory or GPU) and overhead from the OS and application.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: six core vs quad core
                    flbreen Level 1

If I have a multi drive system that is well designed for spreading the load across the drives and it has GPU acceleration which of the currently available CPUs would give the best bang for the buck and what should I avoid?