3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2012 7:18 AM by Anita Adamski

jQuery vs old JS for responsive design?

Anita Adamski

I need to begin a responsive design site --- do I need to steer clear of JS?

Just wondering about limitations, I have some code options I can use...

• 1. Re: jQuery vs old JS for responsive design?
          FeZEC Adobe Community Professional

the answer is yes and no.  The reality of a phone/tablet not having JS turned on is next to never, and that is partially the cause of Responsive design.  Flexible layouts or fluid layouts are based on percentages with CSS. For increasing and decreasing containers that should be done entirely with CSS and percentages.  Using media queries you can target any number of specifics (such as device orientation, display densities, max-viewport, or even just if a width is a specific value). Using these queries, you can force new font sizes, or colors all using CSS.  So none of this makes use of JS yet. However there may be functionality that does require js. JS is necessary when logic is required for something custom to occur. That should be the deciding factor as to why JS may or may not be require.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: jQuery vs old JS for responsive design?
            mhollis55 Level 4

The other thing I think you may be confused about is that jQuery is JavaScript. It is a library the simplifies event handling, animations and traversing HTML documents. More information about jQuery here.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: jQuery vs old JS for responsive design?
              Anita Adamski Level 1

Thanks!! Both great information. I knew JQuery was a section of JS, that's what made me wonder about JS depreciation. I have it in perspective now...