8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2012 9:13 AM by Kaberle

what does this mean? what "file"???

Kaberle Level 1

operating system error = 0x00000020 -the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

trying to transcode some videos into one menu and I keep getting this error for one batch. The rest of them have been fine so far.. what does this error mean and what file are they talking about? What process?

I'm using Encore 5.1 on windows 7- pro. 32 bit system.

thank you!!

Message was edited by: Kaberle

• 1. Re: what does this mean? what "file"???
          Harm Millaard Level 7

CS5 and newer require Windows 64 bit.

• 2. Re: what does this mean? what "file"???
            Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Encore Version 5.1 is 32 bits.

Could be a million things.

Close all programms before encoding.

Virus scanner.

Resave project to other name.

Did you install Encore as administrator (required).

• 3. Re: what does this mean? what "file"???
              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Encore Version 5.1 is 32 bits.

That's true, but how would you get it to install on a 32 bit OS. Premiere CS5.5 is 64 bit. The  PR install for 32 bit would be CS4. When installing Premiere Pro CS4 as part of a CS5 suite, does it install Encore CS5?

Just curious....

• 4. Re: what does this mean? what "file"???
                Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have never installed one with the other.

But i think you can check Encore just by it self.

• 5. Re: what does this mean? what "file"???
                  Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

But i think you can check Encore just by it self.

That is true. And you wouldn't get dynamic link with the CS4 option in a CS5 suite anyway. Just hadn't thougt about that option.

Kaberle, some ordinary Encore processes (e.g. dual layer disk operations) require you to run Encore "as administrator," not just as a user that has administrator rights. In addition to ensuring, as Ann said, that you installed as administrator, I would give that a try.

• 6. Re: what does this mean? what "file"???
                    Kaberle Level 1

Well my machine is set up for 64 bits in the architecture but it came with 32 bit win7 pro- go figure. I have a copy of 64 bit ultimate I plan on installing.

Premiere Pro 5.5 won't run on 32 bit Win7 but Encore will. I know this because I have installed both on our machines at work (community college multilmedia lab). We have it on all of the imac now too,but the 64 bit pcs run it all, the 32 bit ones will run encore but had to install PP CS4 on the them. Sucks.

Anyway, I uncheked the indexing thing and it then burned the same video i had been having issues with without a hitch.

But that is not fun to have nothing indexed as I do periodic searches. I already have Encore marked to run as admin. So I guess the indexing thing worked. Now does it have to stay that way all of the time? It took a long time to unindex everything, so I guess encore is searching for or just using a file or files on the C drive that are indexed?

I guess my question is this: Can I just stop the INDEXING service while burning instead of un-indexing everything? Then I could re-start the indexing service when I need it??

Any advice on that would be great. Thank you so much for your replies.

• 7. Re: what does this mean? what "file"???
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Indexing and compression should ALWAYS be turned off on all your volumes on the editing rig. Different machines used for other purposes can have it on.

• 8. Re: what does this mean? what "file"???
                        Kaberle Level 1

Well the machines are one and the same. I don't do this for a living at home, just at work. Not turned off there and I never have this error but I will be turning them off monday!!