4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 30, 2014 6:27 AM by nashvillelawyer

What happened to the scrubber in Premiere CS6

happyggv2 Level 1

One of my favorite tools in the source and program monitors in previous versions was the scrubbing tool. I don't see it in CS6. Any ideas ? TY Gene

• 1. Re: What happened to the scrubber in Premiere CS6
          nullsebasvideo Level 1

Unfortunately Adobe got rid of some convenient tools that previous versions had, one of them is the scrubber, the other the left and right arrows in the timeline.

For the scrubber you have a replacement that is not as evident as the old one, but if you put the pointer over the timecode in the timeline panel, press the mouse left button and move to either left or right, it has the same function the scrubber had, and it's nice because it moves as fast as you move your hand, so you can move frame by frame or go really fast. In addition, if you want to go even faster, you can press shift while using it. The timecode in the Program panel works the same way, but unfortunately the one in the source panel stops when the mouse pointer (which goes invisible when you start scrubbing in any panel) reaches the edge of the screen. That doesn't happen in the other two timecodes. So the removal of the scrubbing wheel is not a terrible problem, since there is a replacement, but they should make it more evident, without having to read the whole manual. I found it one day by pure chance.

As for the removal of the arrows in the timeline panel, it's baffling why they did that. While you can move along the sequence with the slider like any other NLE, when you are zoomed in to where each second of footage is roughly half an inch of screen space, if you grab that slider and move it in either direction it flies, it doesn't detect too well the speed of your hand like moving the timecode does, so you end up several seconds ahead or before. Removing those arrows has to be one of the most idiotic things they've done, because if you didn't use them, then you still wouldn't use them, but many people did use them and now they don't have them anymore. It's even more baffling when you see that they improved it in many areas.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: What happened to the scrubber in Premiere CS6
            happyggv2 Level 1

TX Seb. I tried and it works. I noticed that is scrubs the sound in the program monitor but NOT in the timeline. Hmmmm.., Any ideas y ?

• 3. Re: What happened to the scrubber in Premiere CS6
              nullsebasvideo Level 1

happyggv2 wrote:

TX Seb. I tried and it works. I noticed that is scrubs the sound in the program monitor but NOT in the timeline. Hmmmm.., Any ideas y ?

I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out. It seems that if you have audio scrubbing enabled, it will be audible when you scrub using the timecode in the program panel, but in the timeline panel you can only hear it when scrubbing with the playhead, not the timecode. I'm not aware of any solution for that, but well, you can always use the playhead, which is not the same thing but close, or the timecode in the program panel.

• 4. Re: What happened to the scrubber in Premiere CS6
                nashvillelawyer

Extinction of Premiere Pro's scrub wheel is one of Adobe's WORST decisions . . . it is so annoying when jerk developers at companies such as Google and Adobe decide to take something great but "keep changing and updating" to drive profits . . . Do we change the alphabet every year or two?  No -- we stick with what works.

It is encouraging that we're still able to "scrub" with a left mouse click . . . BUT . . . i am an attorney and do most everything on laptop . . . so i don't carry a mouse everywhere.

Please bring the scrub wheel back.

I may have to finally learn to use (and BUY . . . ): Apple's Final Cut Pro...

(hopefully Apple's Development Team did not eradicate my beloved scrub wheel . . . Adobe frustrated my workflow considerably by taking away that functionality, which barely occupied any screen real-estate at all)

Simply no good reason to strip away that function . . . other cheaper video-editing software don't offer that function either . . . Is Adobe really moving in that direction?