4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2012 9:32 AM by Gil1

Edge Animate Help | Animate existing HTML

community help Level 1

This question was posted in response to the following article: http://helpx.adobe.com/edge-animate/using/edit-existing-html.html

• 1. Re: Edge Animate Help | Animate existing HTML
          FEOEF

1) What is the best way to add script files?

2) Edge Animate seems to have major issues with absolute references. If you have absolute references to script files in an existing HTML document that you would like to animate, too often Edge seems not to be able to handle it. It seems to handle files in the same directory or Publish directory, but if you use a file liberally throughout your site, you do not want to have to put it in every sub-directory, of course.

I am on the verge of producing some very impressive output with Edge, but some very simple inclusions of existing content is harder than it needs to be.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Cheers

Dee

• 2. Re: Edge Animate Help | Animate existing HTML
            sarhunt Adobe Employee

Hey Dee,

You can add your script file after the <!--Adobe Edge Runtime End--> comment int he body of your HTML. You can also try using the .appendTo method by adding the following to your compositonReady event.

$("<script type='text/javascript' charset='utf-8' src='myjs.js'>").appendTo("#Stage");

Give that a shot and let me know if it works. Also looking forward to seeing what you're making with Animate if you're willing to share!

Thanks,

Sarah

• 3. Re: Edge Animate Help | Animate existing HTML
              FEOEF Level 1

Hi Sarah,

Thanks! Will check that out.

I had tried the stage append approach. Was/Am not sure what was/is best practice.

We look forward to sharing with you what we are working on, shortly.

Do you have any idea when audio/video will be fully supported in Edge? It is critical to us.

We are spending a lot of time on Plans B & C because of Edge’s current level of support of audio/video.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Dee

• 4. Re: Edge Animate Help | Animate existing HTML
                Gil1 Level 1

I opened an existing HTML page that passes values form a variable in the original HTML to an object in EA like:

window.edgeComp.getStage().$("friend_photos1").text(photos.toString());

That works fine. However, from EA I cannot reference $("friend_photos1") anymore.

So, the alternative would be to listen to changes on photos form EA, but photos is global variable created on the original HTML. How I listen for those changes?