9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2012 6:12 AM by Steve Grisetti

PE 11: Music Video Editing Technique (lock audio)

ReedWhite

When making a music video, the music track is the first item I put on the timeline into the "Soundtrack" track.  Then, I add video clips, attempting to tightly sync images to the music.

Problem is, as I edit the video track, the "Soundtrack" audio track keeps getting fragmented.  As a remedy, I frequently need to overlay the abused audio track with a fresh copy.  My question is:  Is there a way to lock the audio track so it will not get fragmented while the video track receives major changes and minor tweaks?

In other words, is there a way to choose to have an audio track either locked to the acompanying video clip (as with speech) or locked to a reference in the time line, as with background music) -- the latter being so the music will not get ruined while video clips are tweaked?  I hope I am making myself clear.

History: I am attempting to migrate from iMovie.  I did mange to make a descent first-try music video with PE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8G5DMESH_o); but due the the frequent fragmentation of the audio track, it was a frustrating and lengthy process. (Pan and zoom's altering the clip-length also contributed to the pain -- possibly, operator error.)  The editing process got a little easier after PE [evidently] corrupted the project, such that the audio track became un-editable.  At that point, the audio track quit being fragmented (except for one locked-in "orphan"), and the video editing went quicker.

Comments from music video makers?

• 1. Re: PE 11: Music Video Editing Technique (lock audio)
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

As I show you in my book, if you hold down the Ctrl key (or the Cmd key on a Mac) as you add your video clips to the timeline, it will not fragment the music track.

http://Muvipix.com/pe11.php

• 2. Re: PE 11: Music Video Editing Technique (lock audio)
            ReedWhite Level 1

Thanks, I think you just sold a book.  I am cash-flow challenged.  Is the color version that much more useful, or would you say the B&W version is adequate?

You say [cmd]-key ( on mac) when adding a clip.  At first glance, this design seems backwards.  Why? Because I would want the voice track to fragment as the clips are edited (remain coupled to the video), and I would want the music track to remain untouched.  I think it would make more sense to designate the audio track locked or not.  Am I right?  Will [cmd]-key when adding an audio track cause the audio track to remain independ of video clips?

... Reed

• 3. Re: PE 11: Music Video Editing Technique (lock audio)

The color and the black & white versions of the book are identical -- save for the color of the illustrations, Reed.

And, yes, I get what you're saying about the advantages of locking a video or audio track. And, while the Soundtrack and Narration track do behave somewhat differently than the other video and audio tracks on the program, there is no way to lock a track in Premiere Elements. So the Ctrl/Cmd key override is your only alternative.

On the other hand, you can also try dragging your clips from the Project Media panel onto the Monitor panel rather than to the timeline. This might also add the clips to your timeline without fragmenting your soundtrack.

• 4. Re: PE 11: Music Video Editing Technique (lock audio)
                ReedWhite Level 1

Well, I did order your book from Amazon. Looking forward to it, and I hope it covers these issues.

Another alternative would be to periodically delete the music track (being careful to delete it all!), and then bring in a fresh copy of the music track.

If you use the Ctrl/Cmd key override, I get the impression it will unlock all associated audio tracks from the clip -- even the audio track that was originally recorded as part of the clip.  Is that right?  Or does the clip's original audio remain locked to the clip?

... Reed

• 5. Re: PE 11: Music Video Editing Technique (lock audio)

Holding down Ctrl/Cmd doesn't lock or unlock anything. It merely overrides the program's "ripple" function.

And, hey, thanks for supporting the book, Reed!

• 6. Re: PE 11: Music Video Editing Technique (lock audio)
                    ReedWhite Level 1

So, Steve, if a person wanted to prevent changes in a video track from "rippling" to other audio or video tracks, would they have to hold down Ctrl/Cmd any time the that video track is modified?

Or, if Ctrl/Cmd is used only when the clip is added (as you recommended), will the "ripple" be prevented for all future actions performed on that perticular clip?

I feel bad about bugging you again, but these details do make a difference, and you understand the mechanism.

... Reed

• 7. Re: PE 11: Music Video Editing Technique (lock audio)

Holding down the Ctrl/Cmd key keeps your entire movie from rippling. In fact, if you hold down that key, you can actually place a clip on top of an existing clip, since nothing moves aside to allow you to insert.

It's best to just experiment. You'll get a feel for how it works.

And try adding a clip by dragging it to the Monitor panel. It may give you what you're looking for.

• 8. Re: PE 11: Music Video Editing Technique (lock audio)
                        ReedWhite Level 1

Thank you, Steve.  You have given me (and others, I trust) a good start with this.

I guess the Ctrl/Cmd trick has side-effects to be aware of.  It's becoming more clear that a track-lock feature would be beneficial.

I'm mostly retired, but I still do some technical writing.  One of the reasons I write is so that each new user will not have to play a guessing game with poorly documented (or un-documented, as is common today) software or hardware.  I think it is poor economics to frustrate thousands of users when one tech writer could save each person a number of bad days.  <end of rant>

Anyway, people like you are saints to those of us who are still enduring the rites of new-product discovery.

... Reed

• 9. Re: PE 11: Music Video Editing Technique (lock audio)

St. Steven? Maybe they'll give me my own holiday -- right after Christmas!

Thanks for your kind words, Reed. You'd be surprised how many people take out their frustrations on us fellow users instead of appreciating that we can only tell you how it all works -- not make it do what it doesn't do.