4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2012 7:47 PM by John T Smith

Rendering time?, surely cant really be >_<

HK223

Hello,

I am in the process of rendering a video throu abode CS5, the video is about 4.5 hr long.

I have put colour correction on and a watermark.

When I start to render I use some of these options (along with the "normal" default render settings!) - "use maximum render quality" and also "use frame blending", its getting rendered in 720 HD.

It says its going to take another 28hrs to render, its already done 25% of it! >_<

should it take this long to render a video of that length?

Normally my videos are about 10mins long and only take 15 or so minutes to render, using the above settings.

These are my computer spec -

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K

CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper TX3

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Motherboard: NEW! Asus P8P67 LE

Memory: 16GB DDR3 1333mhz (4x4GB)

Hard Drives: 1TB S-ATAII 3.0Gb/s

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB

Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio

PSU: 650W Corsair TX Ultra-Quiet

Also, when I render a video, its comes up on my computer that the CPU is getting used 100%, this time (and only time) its says the CPU is only getting used 50%

• 1. Re: Rendering time?, surely cant really be >_<
          Harm Millaard Level 7

This all sounds pretty reasonable with your setup.

10 minute timeline exports in around 15 minutes, as you say. Now you export 4.5 hours, so that would be around 7 hours rendering time, add MRQ and multiply the 7 by a factor 3 and you end up with around 21 hours, add the CC and overlay and it all makes perfect sense.

Your major problem is your single hard disk drive. If you want to know if your system is properly equipped and setup, run the PPBM5 benchmark. http://ppbm5.com/index.html

• 2. Re: Rendering time?, surely cant really be >_<
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As Harm said, only 1 hard drive is your problem... that is below minimum specifications

You need AT LEAST another 7200rpm hard driver (NEVER a partition!!!) for your video files

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing

You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions

Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work

You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand

A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for EASY video editing

You need AT LEAST two hard drives (separate drives, never a partition http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708 for more) with Windows (or Mac OS) and software on your boot drive, and video files on a 2nd drive so the boot drive is not slowed down by trying to do everything

Partition = Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/957286

• 3. Re: Rendering time?, surely cant really be >_<
              HK223 Level 1

Hello,

Ok, so a single hard drive is the problem.

OK, Ive been looking to get a SSD, I know they cost alot for a pretty small amount of storage compared with the standard hard drives.

So, if I do get another hard drive, would I need to move over all my adobe software to it so it all works from there, or just put the videos on it, so it can render the the video from the file which is saved on the SSD?

• 4. Re: Rendering time?, surely cant really be >_<
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Boot drive for Windows and all software

Data drive for all video files

I use 3 drives

My 3 hard drives for video editing are configured as...

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and ALL program installs

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 paging swap file and video project files

When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,

so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folders and files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input source & output export files (1)

(1) for faster input/output if you have 4 drives

- use drive 3 for all source files

- use drive 4 for all output files