9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2012 5:11 PM by Rick Gerard

How to - 3D Light Beam

TheMaestro555555

Hello guys

I was wondering if you can help me re-create the light beam in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SFqFkuuMQ_E

It is the one at the start with the "i" at the centre of it, i dont know how to make it, espically with the effects. Also i dont know how to make it 3D so that when the camera rotates around it looks cylindrical with the letter in the centre of it.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: How to - 3D Light Beam
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

I recommend asking in the comments on the YouTube video so that the person who created it can tell you what he did. Have you already read through the comments to see if your question is answered there?

• 2. Re: How to - 3D Light Beam
            TheMaestro555555 Level 1

I've already checked through all the comments and nobody has answered my question, also i messaged the user and he didnt answer; it seems he has been in active for a while. Its the reason i tried here, but so far nothing

• 3. Re: How to - 3D Light Beam
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There are a bunch of ways to duplicate that effect. 3rd party plug-ins like Knoll Light Factory, Particular, Borix FX, etc., make it easier but you can accomplish the same look buy simply creating a 3.5 X wider than high comp the same height as your main comp and adding a bunch of beam moving effects to a solid. Then put that nested wide comp in your main comp and apply CC Cylinder.

Simply by layering, blurring and using the Add blend mode you can recreate the lens flairs with white shape layers. The 'I" can be extruded in CS6 with Ray Traced Rendering, or even created using a custom shatter map with a solid and AE's Shatter effect.

The key to doing these lighting effects is understanding blend modes and layering. Even 3rd party plug-ins require setting the appropriate blend modes to make lighting effects look good. It also helps to work with your project in 32 bit (float)

Here's what some moving particle beams may look like using CC Cylinder.

beams.jpg

This should get you started. If you're completely confused, then ask more questions.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to - 3D Light Beam
                TheMaestro555555 Level 1

Thank you very much, i understand the concept of what youre saying, but i am unsure of the effect i need to acomplish the beams; i understand i have to put it into a solid then pr-compose after that i can use the CC Cylindar effect. Whats got me stuck is the right effect because so far i havent found the right one :/ Espically so that it looks like what it is in the video. Thanks for your help once again. 

• 5. Re: How to - 3D Light Beam

So I had a little more time this evening and I took a little closer look at the shot. There is nothing in that shot that can't be done with shape layers, blurs, blend modes and a little keyframing. Let's take a closer look at what I think you want to recreate.

Screen Shot 2012-12-01 at 11.02.05 PM.png

Ok, so what have we got here? There are a bunch of very thin lines with some kind of rectangular glowing things moving up in the frame that appear to be wrapping around the translucent extruded I in the center. Close inspection reveals that these lines are not evenly spaced around the 'i' but are more like a rectangular tube. The easiest thing to do would be to try and recreate just a few of these lines with their associated blurs and glows. Here's a screenshot of the start of an AE project. It's just a few lines with some different blur settings, a few blurred rectangles all with their blend mode set to Add in a 32bit project.

dupe.jpg

Maybe this will get you started. There's nothing there but rectangle shape layers, line shape layers, blurrs and blend modes.

• 6. Re: How to - 3D Light Beam
                    TheMaestro555555 Level 1

Thank you, that has helped me alot i now know how to do it

One other thing if you dont mind, when the letters collide at 0:16, how am i ment to do that? Because i am using the 3D Rotate Around Circle effect which makes my letters rotate around it, whats confusing me is how i can make it close in on the "i" and then collide. Thanks for your help.

• 7. Re: How to - 3D Light Beam

Add a lens flair. Add particles. Add blurred shape layers. The choice is endless. It's all about blending and bluring unless you use 3rd party plug-ins.

• 8. Re: How to - 3D Light Beam
                        TheMaestro555555 Level 1

Sorted. Thanks man.

One last thing...the explotion at the end, how the particles come together and then explode?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7itAkPQQb8

• 9. Re: How to - 3D Light Beam

You can pre-comp a particle layer and then time remap to get them to move in. Again it's all about layering and blend modes. There are lots of good books about AE that will point you in the right direction so you can do this kind of analysis yourself. Blindly following tutorials isn't going to get you anywhere fast. Learning what the program can do and then creatively applying that knowledge to a project will get you a long way down the road very quickly.