10 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2012 6:15 PM by Stan Jones RSS

CS6 Timeline "Invalid Time" error

joec925 Community Member

Win7 Home. All updates to CS6.

Have four timelines. No errors on Check Project. Build Blu-ray fails after sometime into the build. Get an "Adobe Encore Window" with: Blu-ray Object: "<Timeline> scrap best", Error: "Invalid Time", Code: "24", Note: "presentation composition times may not overlap". After clicking on "OK" get the "Build Program Failed" message. I can find nothing wrong with the timeline content. Any idea what this error means?

• 1. Re: CS6 Timeline "Invalid Time" error
          Stan Jones MVP

Google only finds this thead using your error message.

Using "bluray object error code 24," the only note found reads "start + duration exceeds clip duration."

I have no idea, but wonder about corrupt files. Are your timelines single videos, or do you have more than one video on some timelines?

• 2. Re: CS6 Timeline "Invalid Time" error
            joec925 Community Member

Hi Stan,

For all the timelines I imported images as assets. One timeline has 61 images, a second has 96 images and there are two other timelines for the same "story"; one for pages 1-90 and the other for pages 91-106. They all appear to work fine in PPRO CS6. I just cleared the "scrap base" timeline/assets in Encore and ran build again. Same failure so it is common for at least two different timelines. When I start the build now (looks like the timelines have been processed) first thing I see is procession "motion.......". This is quickly followed by "Importing scrap efm_1_sessionFiles_Bsf_session_1_video.m2v". In about 10 seconds, the progress bar reaches the right end and the timeline error appears. After installing CS6, I started PPRO with the PRPROJ file for each timeline. It had to be updated and I just had to define the location of the assets since I had moved the PRPROJ file to another folder where the images were located for that PRPROJ file. Again, all the timelines seem to work fine in PPRO. I have an Encore chapter marker at each image junction point. In CS6 Encore I started the project with clicking on the CS4 NCOR file. It came up ok but could not locate  the images. The correct chapter markers were present. I used dynamic link to get the images into their proper place in the timelines. I get no error checks on the Encore project. I do get a strange thing on "Preview". The timeline selection menu comes up first as expected. When I select one of the timeline buttons, the first image in that timeline sequence shows but when it goes to the second image, it returns to the selection menu again. This may be another problem. Maybe you are correct in that there is some corrupted files. Other than redoing the whole composition all over again (would have to redo pans, zooms and duration for each page in the timelines), I have no idea where to look for the problem location.

Joe

• 3. Re: CS6 Timeline "Invalid Time" error
              John T Smith MVP

For lots of pictures, read...

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-Too Large May = Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/879967

-And another crash report http://forums.adobe.com/thread/973935

• 4. Re: CS6 Timeline "Invalid Time" error
                Stan Jones MVP

For all the timelines I imported images as assets. One timeline has 61 images, a second has 96 images and there are two other timelines for the same "story"; one for pages 1-90 and the other for pages 91-106. They all appear to work fine in PPRO CS6.

CS6 changed things with slideshows. Whether this is a slideshow or regular timeline, factors like that move me toward creating a new CS6 project.

first thing I see is procession "motion.......". This is quickly followed by "Importing scrap efm_1_sessionFiles_Bsf_session_1_video.m2v". In about 10 seconds, the progress bar reaches the right end and the timeline error appears.

I don't know what it all means, but in CS5 there was an authorscript folder in the Encore project folders. My hypothesis was that it is gone in CS6, but it is created for the build, then deleted when the build is complete. (A solution in CS6 for a variety of problems was to delete the files in this folder. Encore now does this for you.)

See the thread linked below where many users who can burn projects in CS5 are unable to do so in CS6. Again, for me, in terms of your issues leads me to a do over.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4851587

• 5. Re: CS6 Timeline "Invalid Time" error
                  joec925 Community Member

Thanks John and Stan for the reply.

Just tried this procedure. Lets use "scrap best" as the name. Selected the scrap best prproj file. Came up fine in PPRO with each image a separate clip and my chapter markers in right place. Then deleted the Adobe Pro auto-save and preview folders. Then saved as scrap best 1. Selected the scrap best prproj and it came up fine with clips and chapter markers and chapter marker names. Validated the chapter markers by opening the markers panel and all ok there. The duration, zoom, pan also ok. Then in PPRO: file-->dynamic link--> send to Encore. The sequence in Encore displayed the scrap best as a video (no clips) and no chapter markers. Zooms, durations and pans ok in the video. Ran a blu-ray folder build and it completed with no errors. Looks good with two exceptions: (1) why didn't Encore show clips; (2) why wern't the PPRO Encore Chapter markers not imported into Encore. I can, in the Encore video, locate each clip and insert a chapter marker using that Encore function.

• 6. Re: CS6 Timeline "Invalid Time" error
                    Stan Jones MVP

(1) why didn't Encore show clips;

Because the entire PR sequence is a movie. Encore won't show your images as separate, anymore than it would show a movie, with chapter markers, as clips.

(2) why wern't the PPRO Encore Chapter markers not imported into Encore. I can, in the Encore video, locate each clip and insert a chapter marker using that Encore function.

Are you sure you have Encore markers and not clip or sequence markers? And are they named, or just commented?

• 7. Re: CS6 Timeline "Invalid Time" error
                      joec925 Community Member

Stan,

Here are four "snips". All 4 utilize the same sequence of images (assets not slideshow). The mid row-left is the PPRO CS4 showing the chapter markers and each individual image.  The top row is the resulting Encore CS4 timeline showing the individual images and chapter markers. No actual images show up since did not want to spend time locating the images. The mid row-right is the PPRO CS6 representtion of the same image sequence. Note that the "marker" window shows that encore chapter markers exist in same place as CS4. One thing different is the marker images are above the timeline ruler and seem to have in/out points. Not sure what this is for but they are chapter markers since can move forward/back using the previous/next chapter buttons. The bottom row is the resulting Encore CS6 presentation of the PPRO CS6 sequence. Note that it comes in as a "merged" video and there are no chapter markers.

The merged video I can live with for this project. Would save time; however, if the chapter markers were present. I could just manually reinsert them in Encore if necessary. By the way, I tried a different timeline story with it's "repaired" PPRO folders and it generated the folder just fine. Looks like the major problem is solved.

ABOVE = ENCORE CS4encore cs4 timeline.JPG

ABOVE LEFT=PPRO CS4. RIGHT=PPRO CS6prpro cs4 timeline.JPGprpro cs6 timeline.JPG

ABOVE=ENCORE CS6encore cs6 timeline.JPG

• 8. Re: CS6 Timeline "Invalid Time" error
                        Stan Jones MVP

The top row is the resulting Encore CS4 timeline showing the individual images and chapter markers.

Encore CS6 presentation of the PPRO CS6 sequence. Note that it comes in as a "merged" video and there are no chapter markers.

I don't think the videos are any different. CS4 is a video, not images. It looks divided because the markers are there, and the poster frame is at the default position. If CS6 brought the markers in, it would also be divided up.

One thing different is the marker images are above the timeline ruler and seem to have in/out points.

Yes, CS6 added duration for clips. FYI, my default addition of an Encore marker is with a duration of zero and the marker is not divided. Yours have a duration of 1 frame. My markers come into Encore with 0 or a greater than 0 duration.

If you added the markers after you first brought them in, you need to select the timeline in the timeline area at the bottom, and then Edit -> Update Markers From Source.

• 9. Re: CS6 Timeline "Invalid Time" error
                          joec925 Community Member

Finally problem solved, Stan.

Strange but here is how the inability to "Update Markers from Source"  was made to work.

(1) Double click on a marker in PPRO timeline.

(2) The Marker window appears and shows a dot in the option circle for "Encore Chapter Marker". This is what had lead me to believe that all was ok in PPRO so I simple cancelled the window.

(3) What I had to do is click OK to close the window.

(4) For some reason the marker can be transferred via the "Update Markers from Source" selection in Encore.

Not sure why I had to validate initially that the marker already denoting "Encore Chapter Marker" had to be validated (OK) in order for it to be a source for transfer to Encore. Will do for the remaining 259 markers and will consider the project a go at this time.

Thanks!

• 10. Re: CS6 Timeline "Invalid Time" error
                            Stan Jones MVP

Will do for the remaining 259 markers and will consider the project a go at this time.

Ouch! But a go is a go.

I don't understand why the update markers would not work without any changes to the markers.