3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2014 6:15 AM by hrasheed

Program error when attempting to edit a vector smart object. Help?

fallenturtle__

I'm running Photoshop CS6 (13.0.1) 64bit on a MacBook Pro running OS X Lion. About 60% of the time when I try to double click a vector smart object instead of opening it up in Illustrator I get an error that says, "Could not edit original smart object because of program error." This most recent time it was a smart object from vector data I copied and pasted from Illustrator into Photoshop.

Any idea why this is happening and how I can fix it?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Program error when attempting to edit a vector smart object. Help?
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Actually I cannot offer specific advice, but I would try the usual trouble shooting routines for both programs (trashing prefs by keeping command-alt-shift while starting Photoshop after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved and making a note of the Preferences you’ve changed, 3rd party plug-ins deactivation) and the OS (repairing permissions, purging PRAM, running cron-scripts, cleaning caches, font validation, etc.).

• 2. Re: Program error when attempting to edit a vector smart object. Help?
            fallenturtle

Unfortunately none of that fixed the issue.

• 3. Re: Program error when attempting to edit a vector smart object. Help?
              hrasheed

001.jpg002.jpg003.jpg,

Hi there, 

I got this problem when I installed Adob master collection Over CS 5.

I had children book story storis which created in Adobe illustrator CS 5 and I created art boards in Adobe photoshop cs 5.

After installting CS 6 i tried to edit the smart objects and it was not opeinging the smart object file in Illustrator.

I did some tests.

1) Right click on smart object layer and click export contents. Save on desktopp or anywhere you want. (I saved on desktop)

2) I had this file on my desktop (Vector Smart Object10.ai) but it didn't show any icon, which program should open this type of file.

3) Double click on the file and it pop up a extension window 'Click on change and select adobe illustrator' and press OK.

4) Go back to your photoshop file and right click on smart object layer and click dit content. now this time it opens up assets in illustrator.

ENJOY!

www.4d-studios.co.uk