7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2012 6:37 PM by conroy

Photoshop isn't even starting.

SirChandestroy

I've tried many many times to open up photoshop cs6. Whenever I try, a pop-up displays, saying "Some of the application components are missing from the Application directory, Please reinstall the application." I use a mac by the way. I know it works on my computer because it was running perfectly yesterday. I've tried resetting my computer, reinstalling photoshop, and uninstalling then reinstalling photoshop. What the heck is wrong? I need an answer by Dec. 3.

• 1. Re: Photoshop isn't even starting.
          markerline Level 4

certainly this option is a last resort measure only.  Have you tried rescuing your computer (Mac) from a Time Machine backup?  This would erase any new work you have done though so it is ONLY a last resort.  There could be simpler troubleshooting steps.

• 2. Re: Photoshop isn't even starting.
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

When something works one day, but not the next, then something has changed. The task is to find out what has changed.

Have you added new hardware, new software, updated the OS, added new fonts?

Markerline's suggestion to check things with Time Machine (Mac) is a good one. On a PC, one would use System Restore Points, create a new one for now, then test previous ones (for any PC users, who might see this thread later).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Photoshop isn't even starting.
              conroy Level 5

markerline wrote:

certainly this option is a last resort measure only.  Have you tried rescuing your computer (Mac) from a Time Machine backup?  This would erase any new work you have done though so it is ONLY a last resort.  There could be simpler troubleshooting steps.

There won't be loss of any work if backups of the work are made before restoring the system to an earlier point.

• 4. Re: Photoshop isn't even starting.
                markerline Level 4

true, however restoring from a backup that was made after the problem introduced itself would be pointless, wouldn't it?  How would a user restore his/her work in such a way?

• 5. Re: Photoshop isn't even starting.
                  conroy Level 5

Obviously, one can backup work files completely independently from system backups. Please don't tell me the only backups of your work are in Apple Time Machine or Windows System Restore points.

At it's simplest, just copying your work to another drive will create a backup.

• 6. Re: Photoshop isn't even starting.
                    markerline Level 4

that isn't what i was suggesting.  sure you can copy individual files to external media such as thumb drives, eSata drives or whatever pleases you.  however i was implying that since SirC was suddenly experiencing the problems, although it is unlikely to be caused by a file he was working on, it is possible that anything done on the computer could have corrupted a system preference or infected a file.  I'm not really certain on this but i recently experienced a peculiarity with some software which causes me to think along those lines.

I downloaded a free software from a trusted source and had to download media into that application.  the software told me that it downloaded everything but when i tried to access the files i got an unrelated error message which told me that the file didn't actually exist on my hard drive.  after speaking to technical support they told me that i had to update my payment method for the free software and for the purchased media.  however since i already purchased the media it had nothing to do with verifying payment information at all.  the problem was that there was a corruption in the download and i had to redownload and reinstall the software and then presto! everything worked like a charm.

the point of that aside was to say we don't know what is causing a user to experience problems opening his/her software.  so the best and safest route is to not include files that have been worked on after the system became corrupt.

• 7. Re: Photoshop isn't even starting.
                      conroy Level 5

I'll simply say that if I had to do a system restore, I wouldn't hesitate to backup any work files that are on the system drive and that haven't yet been backed up, do the system restore, then restore these backed up work files and continue where I was interrupted.