32 Replies Latest reply: Mar 9, 2013 8:20 PM by Kranex1 RSS

HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP

cullyeefas

I wanted to post this asap - so no-one else wasted their time & $6600.00. After a bunch of looking, I ordered a HP 8770w. Rigged as follows.

32G Ram

3 hard drives. 1 SSD & 2 fast SATA drives.

nVidia k5000M

latest i7 chip.

Sounded great - nVidia recommends HP, Adobe recommends nVidia - the 8770w is advertised as a Video Editing Workstation. My entire life & business are based around CS6, has been that way for years - since the first version of Photoshop. I'm a Cinematographer/Photographer who works from Helicopters. THe HP Business office sold me the same line about high end Video Editing. I explained that while all HD now - we are moving to 4K Vid in the next couple months.

Ordered the machine on Oct 20th. It arrived from China Nov 28th. Unfortunately, it shipped with WIN 7 Pro 32 bit. This left me w/ 2.7G of usable RAM and no way to run Premeire (it's 64 bit).

HP had me try an online WIN update. WIN saw the installed 32 bit & gave me 32 bit Ultimate! HP overnighted in discs for WIN Pro 7 64bit. Installed all, had to pull the SATA drives to get the oS to land on the SSD. The updates did not go well with HP, I was given old BIOS links & many updater links were not working, or also old. I burned up 15 hours on the phone, many more on my own. HP maintained their end was only making the hardware work - beyond that it was all on Adobe and nVidia. Although I have freezes, screens that change constantly and had to disable some key features of the 8770w - HP says it's working fine now. I get a different start screen every third startup - but I guess that is normal.

HP told me last night that the K5000m may just not work with Adobe CS6 and it is not HP's problem. This came from a Supervisor. I was told to deal with Adobe and nVidia and there was nothing more HP could/would do. So, here I am. Will also be posting the same on nVidias Site.

What is weird is that Pshop CS6 picks up the K5000M. Premiere CS6 leaves me with the greyed out "mercury playback engine software only" w/ no pull down menu. Tried full version installs, trial version installs. For now, I'll go with what HP says is the reality - which is that the K5000m will NOT run Adobe CS6. I'm wondering why I bought one and why all the Ads on nVidias Site & Adobe's Site claim the K5000m is the way to go. I now have a $6600.00 usless computer. As I don't game - I'm not sure what to do with it.

Be careful - it all sounds great when you order the gear - but it does not work & there is NO support available. My mistake.

• 1. Re: HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP
          cvid01 Community Member

Your card may not be listed as a CUDA card by PPro. You may have to add to the list of CUDA cards by hacking a txt file.  For example, see: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4828989#4828989

There are other discussions about the hack as well.; search the forum

• 2. Re: HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP
            Pijetro Community Member

Ordered the machine on Oct 20th. It arrived from China Nov 28th. Unfortunately, it shipped with WIN 7 Pro 32 bit. This left me w/ 2.7G of usable RAM and no way to run Premeire (it's 64 bit).

This one mistake alone tells me that somebody dropped the ball from the get go....

I would've asked for another machine immediately, or ordered from one of the other reputable machine builders on these forums...

So sorry to hear about your situation.

Good luck.

• 4. Re: HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP
              J. Simon Community Member

The updates did not go well with HP, I was given old BIOS links & many updater links were not working,

That may have been another mistake.  I find it best to always go to the hardware manufacturers' site for drivers and updates, not the system builder's.

That means the nVidia site for graphics drivers, the ASUS site for BIOS and other utilities (or whatever brand of motherboard is in there), etc.

• 5. Re: HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP
                Alex - DV411 Community Member

That may have been another mistake.  I find it best to always go to the hardware manufacturers' site for drivers and updates, not the system builder's.

That means the nVidia site for graphics drivers, the ASUS site for BIOS and other utilities (or whatever brand of motherboard is in there), etc.

Jim, have you ever worked with HP BIOS and driver updates?

• 6. Re: HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP
                  J. Simon Community Member

Hmmm...I remember Dell and Compaq.  Not sure about HP.

Still as a general principle, the hardware manufacturer will have the most up to date version.  That can't always be said of a system builder.

• 7. Re: HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP

Still as a general principle, the hardware manufacturer will have the most up to date version.  That can't always be said of a system builder.

It may apply to graphics and other devices, never to BIOS and other system-specific devices, on Tier 1 systems.  Installing only OEM-certified drivers on non-critical devices also greatly simplifies support.

• 8. Re: HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP
                      cullyeefas Community Member

The Text hack worked fine. HP had no idea that it existed. I tried to explain it & offered the link, they were not interested & said I was digressing.....lol.

The bigger problems were the BIOS & other drivers. Yes, many drivers & updates do come from the Manu's. However - the BIOS must come from HP along with their support drivers. Many of these on HP's Site were old, or the wrong type for my machine.

After several OS reloads and endless driver checks - the 8770w was brought back to factory specs. Loaded up CS6 and the Text edit via CMD files. No problems. Works with both full versions and trial versions. HP had said to reinstall CS6 over & over as it was part of the overal issue. I explained I had tried both full versions & trial versions. They said I would never get full features like Mercury playback in a trial version. I know better and had loaded it as part of system testing.

Bottom line - the 8770w is faster than anything I have seen. Great machine. CS6 is stupid fast - no more bars. While HP's Techs are generally great - the issue is they do not have all the docs on this machine yet. It's new - and they only have paper references for most screens & drivers. That made the troubleshooting process interesting...........

Now I need to match up my SATA drives (dumping the 500G for another, matched 750G) and I'll be all set. Many thanks for all the input & comments here. Good to be reminded that the Forums ALWAYS know what's up - even when the Manu's don't.

• 10. Re: HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP
                        John T Smith MVP

>The Text hack worked fine. HP had no idea that it existed

Unless you are dealing with a company that has experience is building for video editing, it is not at all surprising that they don't know "something" about setup for that specific purpose

>tried to explain it & offered the link, they were not interested & said I was digressing

That is too bad... now, the next time someone calls them with the same/similar problem, they will not have anything to offer

>reminded that the Forums ALWAYS know what's up

Yes... it is very rare that a question here does not result in a solution from someone... this forum is very literaly world wide, and the depth of experience is amazing

• 11. Re: HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP

Just got a email from Nvidia Tech support. They say that the K5000m is NOT certified for CS6 Premiere. They apologized but said it was up to Adobe to decide when to support the card.

While it works I'm really, really surprised.

• 12. Re: HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP

and to clarify here too. when I say it works - I mean PPCS6 picks up the card. It will not run as any changes to sequence settings crashes PPCS6.

• 13. Re: HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP

and to clarify here too. when I say it works - I mean PPCS6 picks up the card. It will not run as any changes to sequence settings crashes PPCS6.

Does it still crash when you change the acceleration to "software"?

• 14. Re: HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP

Yes, it crashed out regardless of the settings. As it turns out - it was ALL a GPU/Adobe conflict.

The fix? This one was fun!

We reloaded CS6 for the 8th time. Then I loaded up the edit to the cuda_supported_cards.txt. Restart. Then, we ran an app to hack the card. Restart. Ran CS6 Premiere. A double hack - it works.

Testing Premiere Pro CS6 - threw HD & 4K footage @ it. It smiled & played back seamlessly. Went to larger files - seamless. Warped files in the sequence - seamless. Export @ full HD, high bit rates - stupid fast. Exported a 800G .MOV

w/ high bit rates in 7 minutes....... Task Manager showed 22-24G of RAM in use & all cores firing @ 98%. Raided SATA drives are speaking to the SSD primary w/ no issue.

As 90% of my work is filmed from Helicopters - AE is a bit part of our workflow. THe 8770w, configured as I have it - now provides real time editing. No waiting, perfect playback. Serious speed!!

• 15. Re: HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP
                                  Harm Millaard Community Member

Then, we ran an app to hack the card. Restart. Ran CS6 Premiere.

What app did you use and what did you modify in or on the card?

It comes as no surprise that Tier 1 companies cannot support application problems like you experienced. Their only interest is shoving boxes out of the door as fast as possible and they know zero about applications and are not interested to know. It is against company policy.

Even though they assemble decent hardware, you can not rely on them to help solve application problems like in your case. For that you either need a custom builder who specializes in Adobe oriented machines and are experienced with the application or rely on a forum like this one.

• 16. Re: HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP

For the edit of the "cuda_supported_cards" file I looked it up off WIN 7 Pro 64 start menu. GPU sniffer does not work well on WIN 7 Pro 64 - it runs too fast & selecting or seeing the info is not possible. All I did was follow the instructions found on these forums & added Quadro K5000M to the list & replace the file in Adobe.

As for the card hack - found that here www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.htm

The order of installing is key - but boy does it work!!

It was a bummer that no-one @ HP, nVidia, etc. wanted to or could deal with this issue - or many others. I looked at a lot of machines before deciding on the HP 8770w. I looked at custom builders - but could not get the exact config I wanted anywhere - except with HP. All problems aside, and regardless of HP having to replace this entire rig w/ one that actually has a DreamColor screen....as originally ordered.........I'd order it again & again and the wait is worth the end result. Had no intention of having to take the 8770w apart - but HP made it really easy & slick. The whole bottom pops off w/ one swicth. All the drives, the GPU - everything is easily accesible. Also, the thing is built like a freaking tank - 90% of my work is from Helicopters and I beat the crap out of equipment. Our speed tests Thursday proved that the config of the whole 8770w was more than worthwhile.

BS aside - highly recommended!! I also see this as a totally upgradable rig down the line..

Thanks to all here for input & support!!

• 17. Re: HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP

You have to run gpusniffer.exe from the command prompt:

GPU_ sniffer.png

and you have all the time in the world to inspect it and get the info you need.

• 18. Re: HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP

Yes, that was pretty clear from the directions I followed. Have you actually tried it on a WIN 7 Pro 64 bit system???

Plus, it was easier to find via the search on the start menu - no program needed. I knew where the text file was so no biggie but GPU sniffer does not run well on WIN 7Pro 64 bit. Many others have had the same results and simply typed in the file they were looking for. It's a Text file that needed editing - open it, save it to desktop & replace after adding Quadro K5000M. I like simple paths to solving problems where possible.

• 19. Re: HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP

No problems with either Win7 or Win8, so there is something wrong with your configuration or your access rights.

• 20. Re: HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP

Well goody for you! I guess all the people posting about GPU sniffer running too fast have bad configs/acess rights too. Those threads must be complete fabrications. Plus, some of us take the efficient route and simply type in what we are looking to edit.

If you come up with something constructive or useful - feel free to drop it here.

• 21. Re: HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP

Well goody for you! I guess all the people posting about GPU sniffer running too fast have bad configs/acess rights too.

No, they are not using the correct steps to run the program.

• 22. Re: HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP

Will you have any actual instructions on running GPU sniffer on a WIN 7 Pro 64 bit sys?

• 23. Re: HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP

I'll repeat what I have said before and shown with the screen shot in a previous post:

1. Go to the Command prompt by using CMD.exe (preferably with administrator rights).

2. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Pro CS6, using 'cd' commands, well you know them.

3. Type in 'gpusniffer.exe' (without the quotes) and press Enter.

4. Read the info you need and if necessary make a note of that.

5. Type 'exit' and press Enter.

That's all.

If you don't go to the command prompt first, then yes, it is way too fast to read.

• 24. Re: HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP
                                                    JFPhoton Community Member

Mr.  Cullyeefas.......Harm Millard has been one of the most knowledgeable and helpful people on this forum for years now. Those who read this forum regularly depend on his insight ,wealth of knowledge, and experience to avoid costly mistakes in buying hardware to edit video with PPRO. Harm has built the fastest edit machine yet, and he has generously shared all his info concerning its construction with all of us here. In addition,he and Bill Gehrke have built the PPBM5 website for testing the performance of an editing machine with benchmarks  that truly show how well,or badly, YOUR machine may able to complete various editing tasks.

I can say that if you had read this forum,esp. Harm's articles, BEFORE making your purchase you may have spared yourself much grief. Now, if you continue to study this forum you may find helpful info as you go along which can save a lot of angst and even money by avoiding costly mistakes !!!

• 25. Re: HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP

Thanks, I did a lot of reading before posting, here and elsewhere. As with any forum - there are conflicting answers to the same questions. This is not a problem as figuring it out is why we are all here. Trial & error is part of new Tech, especially with apps like CS6PP and especially on heavily configured machines.

When I pose a question. I look for input, feedback, experience, things to try, things not to try, things to try that may or may not work are cool too.

When I can answer a question I provide details, and never ridicule or take a holier than thou approach towards he/she who posed said question.

So - as there are posts about GPU sniffer working - and not. I mentioned both. Are we here to discuss all or stick with a one sided approach?

I did read quite a bit BEFORE ordering my HP 8770w - and now fully configured, it is more than I expected. So there was no loss, or angst.  As for test files - thanks but we have our own. The 4k file we ran, and many others so far today - performed again faster than we would have hoped and proved the concept of this machine for our Production Studio. So sorry again - we got excactly what we wanted, ordered and much more.

If you folks are so well tied to Adobe. How bout getting them to certify the nVidia K5000M sooner than later so others can enjoy serious mobile GPU power?? I'm cool hacking though anything to get it to work - but it's Adobes call on certification.

Beyond that - rant away. Half the solution came from here, half did not. Shows again, like myself - that no-one knows everything & it takes a group effort sometimes to get things done. It rarely comes down to the word of one person - especially on this front. If it did - both halves of the solution would be here. Right?

Carry on & huge thanks to those who contributed to solving this.

• 26. Re: HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP
                                                        Bill Gehrke MVP

cullyeefas wrote

If you folks are so well tied to Adobe. How bout getting them to certify the nVidia K5000M sooner than later so others can enjoy serious mobile GPU power?? I'm cool hacking though anything to get it to work - but it's Adobes call on certification.

Just for your information all the folks who helped you here are not tied to Adobe in any way.  Many of us volunteers just enjoy helping others.  We have very little if any influence on Adobe's certification schedule.  Considing that this K5000m is only about 3 months old you are asking a lot since he last Adobe Premiere update (6.0.3) was just about that same timeframe--have a little patience. 

• 27. Re: HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP

It comes as no surprise that Tier 1 companies cannot support application problems like you experienced. Their only interest is shoving boxes out of the door as fast as possible and they know zero about applications and are not interested to know. It is against company policy.

That's true for any non-specialty computer maker.  Why'd you single out Tier 1 - again? Personal vendetta? Spoiled? Harm's company policy?

That last piece about not being interested in knowing DCC apps - pure BS. Z820 Red wouldn't exist otherwise. While HP may not employ Adobe Premiere Pro specialists in their regular technical support staff (there're VARs for that), they sure do have the specialists to support ISVs like Adobe.

Harm, seriously, you gotta quit knocking down Tier 1.

• 28. Re: HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP

Oh Bill. I know quite well that no-one here works for Adobe. Please re-read the above posts. Your people are the ones going on & on about how much you know, how everyone (except me) reads everything here BEFORE buying a new rig.

And yes, there are many people here who are very helpful, open and willing to discuss new Tech & issues. That is why I use these Forums and several other Sites for questions, help, reference etc. Look at several of the posts above & tell me how thety are useful, helpful, instructional etc........... "Everyone else is wrong, I'm right" does not qualify as help or support in my world - aka reality.

I loved the posts about testing my rig on an old Site that has MPEG2 test files - what is this? 1998? I have not exported an MPEG in years.

And most importantly - yes, the K5000M is new Tech. That and it's # of cores is why I bought one. It is listed in Adobes Support files - so they knew it was coming. (you said yourself CS6 was out first). I don't expect an instant certificatipon from Adobe - but again, a nice try @ another personal attack. Why go there? If you have helpful info, post it - otherwise maybe keep the BS to yourselves. Posts like so many above only harm the Forum here & make you look bad. I'm here for support, information and to try to make sure that ALL is out there so the next person with a K5000M has a reference. Mine works perfectly now because of the good people here & on other Support Sites.

Back up comments with actual substance - something we can use. I do not mind being wrong, and am open to pretty much anything. That said, I like useful info, not vague, kneejerk responses. SO if Harm built the fastest editing machine ever - what is it? A desktop, a laptop? Mac, WIN? Without substance the comment is meaningless and empty... If you are here to help, help.

Again, huge thanks to all who helped me with this issue.

• 29. Re: HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP
                                                              JEShort01 Community Member

Simply renaming or deleting the cuda_supported_cards.txt file is a way faster to enable MPE on my CS5 system than going through the whole sniffer / edit routine that is so well documented and embraced by Adobe CS users on this forum as well as the rest of the www.

Could some of you CS6 users please test this method and report back if simply renaming or deleting cuda_supported_cards.txt works on your system to enable MPE (assuming of course you do have the proper hardware loaded)?

Thanks,

Jim

• 30. Re: HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP
                                                                Jeff Bellune ACP

That's exactly what I did here and for each update of CS6.  Works well; lasts a long time.

Jeff

• 31. Re: HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP
                                                                  Jeff Bellune ACP

Some of the posts above will be edited for content.  All parties to the conversation should understand why.  Disagreements voiced about what is helpful and what isn't are perfectly fine as long those comments don't involve insults (veiled or explicit), name calling and offensive language.

Jeff

• 32. Re: HP 8770w and vVidia K5000m not capable of running Premiere CS6 - from HP
                                                                    Kranex1 Community Member

CS6 did not originally recognized my k5000m when I originally downloaded it. I merely update the drives from the Nvidia site and everything works like a charm. No sniffer needed.