3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2006 4:37 AM by MergeThis

Import Word Doc Inline Format Problem

LarEpp
      I have a Word Doc that is 1.6 Mb. It does not contain any outline formating. I want RoboHelp to import each section of the document as a topic. Each section starts with a 16pt size font. This 16pt font is the Topic header. It appears to work, but it misses some 16pt lines and combines the sections into 1 topic. My end reault is I get 225 topics instead of 310. Is there a limit to the size oa a file that can be imported successfully? Are there other options to directly specify the Word Docs formatting? Is there something I can look for in the Word Doc that is triggering RoboHelp at the error spots? Thanks!
        • 1. Re: Import Word Doc Inline Format Problem
          MergeThis Level 4
          I'm now looking at the "Import Word Document Wizard: Split on Style" window, which asks you to "Create new topics based on" the styles listed in the panel below. There is no option for sections, only styles. Therefore, make sure that your styles agree with the ones you select in this window.

Come back with any other questions.

Good luck,
          Leon
          • 2. Re: Import Word Doc Inline Format Problem
            LarEpp Level 1
            I was using the word 'section' for lack of a better term. My Word Doc consists of only one style for each topic. My problem is that RoboHelp is only finding 255 when I actually have 310 topics with this one style. Therefore, I am getting topics containing text that should have been created as separate topics in RoboHelp. Is there a chance that some hidden formatting may exist in my Word Doc that is causing the import utility to skip the missing 65 topics? Thanks!
            • 3. Re: Import Word Doc Inline Format Problem
              MergeThis Level 4
              It could be something as simple as a leading space, or some other innocuous special character. There can be a lot of hidden filth in a Word doc (especially if it's an older file that has been edited by many people who might have been unfamiliar with Word).

In the Tools > Options > View tab, select the Hidden text option. See what is revealed when you've done that. (It could be ugly!)

Good luck,
              Leon