5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2012 6:42 PM by tillitea1

Rainbows

tillitea1 Level 1

My friend recorded our wedding with a Canon XHA1 video camera.  There was a nice rainbow after the wedding (it was an outdoor wedding), but it was not visible on the recording.  Has anyone encountered this problem, and if so is there a solution in premiere, or is it all in the filming process?  I attached a still clip from the video.  Thank you.Rainbow.jpg

• 1. Re: Rainbows
          Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Picture is overexposed.

There are no pixels to recover.

Was the camera in auto or manually set (latter is prefered) or use a gradient  ND filter.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Rainbows
            Level 4

the sample pic you posted is overexposed. Typically it is better to 'underexpose' a little bit, than to overexpose with digital photography. Once a video is overexposed it is usually not possible to recover the overexposed areas.  Your sky should have been more like the tone you see below, in order to see your rainbow.

Rainbow2.jpg

maybe you can shoot a rainbow somewhere and edit it into your wedding video...to make up for the one you didn't get.

good luck !

• 3. Re: Rainbows
              Level 4

added notes:

Most rainbow pics have pretty dark skies... and a polarizing filter sometimes helps ...

Now this other "solution" to your problem would be a HUGE amount of work, but basically you could try to make a mask of your sky ( very hard due to leaves being so intricate )... and put a photo of a rainbow in the sky in the mask... you'd probably have to do a tracking mask and move it with your camera movement and play with the rainbow as well, so it moves with camera movement the same way... could take years...

I didn't make mask for the below sample but used your still image sample...

blending options and what I used to do the sample below makes the final image look a bit washed out...but you get the idea.

Rainbow-composite.jpg

• 4. Re: Rainbows
                the_wine_snob Level 9

It might be a simpler task to get (or create) footage (could be a Still Image) of a rainbow, and then superimpose it over the footage that you have, though that over-exposed sky will limit how effective that will be. One could use the Garbage Matte (or similar) to restrict what is shown from the rainbow footage.

Still, with a bald, white sky, any additional rainbow will be limited.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Rainbows
                  tillitea1 Level 1

I do have photos displaying the rainbow.  The goal would be to get the rainbow in the photos into the video.  You described this would be possible, but it may take the rest of my life, and I am only 33.  I guess I have some work to do.  Is there a guide for this process of which you might know?  Thank you much.  Thank you everyone for your responses.