5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2012 6:50 PM by Rick Gerard

Animate text with lines in between?

NinoStar1993

Hi guys,

This is my very first question on this forum. It's also the very first time I'm working with After Effects (CS6).

Now I have the following question. Does anyone know how to animate some text with lines in between so that it sort of 'rotates'? Exactly like in the video that is shown below.

I know that it has something to do with strokes, but I can't quite figure it out.

Thanks for the help!

• 1. Re: Animate text with lines in between?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is not a one click effect. Beam would work. Create a solid. Add Effects>Generate>Beam.  Use an expression to tie the start point to the position of the first text layer and the end point to the position of the other.  Adjust the look and timing of beam the adjust the anchor point of the text layers to set the attach point. 

If you have no idea what I'm talking about then search expressions in the help files.  If your text layers are 3D it is more complicated.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Animate text with lines in between?
            NinoStar1993 Level 1

Hi there Rick,

Thank you for your comment!

I'm trying to figure out how to use an expression, but so far I can't really get it done. Some tutorials say that I should ALT + click somewhere, but I'm not really sure where to click on. Could you perhaps give me a step by step explanation how I should make the first 2 connections? If I'll understand that, I guess I should be able to work from there on.

Thanks in advance!

• 3. Re: Animate text with lines in between?

Alt/Option click on the properties stopwatch to open up the expression field, then simply drag the pickwhip to the text layer's position property.

This is extremely basic stuff. Just search the help files for expressions. Use the search help field at the top right corner of AE. You'll find plenty of examples.

Here's what an AE project would look like:

beam.jpg

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Animate text with lines in between?
                NinoStar1993 Level 1

Thanks a lot!

I managed to connect the lines with the text layers succesfully. Once you figure it out, it's actually pretty easy.

Now I'll just need to know how to rotate all of it like in the video. And then I should be done.

• 5. Re: Animate text with lines in between?

Make the text layers layers 3D. Orient them all to the camera. Parent them to a 3D null. Rotate the null and the text will now move around as it does in your sample video.

Leave the beam layers 2D but change the expression for the Beam Starting and Ending point to this:

L = thisComp.layer("TextLayerName");

L.toComp(anchorPoint);

Change the name in quotes to match your text layer name. This needs to be different for each text layer.

Set the Anchor Point and Position value of the layer with the beam effect to 0, 0. This is fixes an alignment problem with the beam points.

Add this expression to the Y rotation property of your text layers:

- thisComp.layer("Null 1").yRotation

There you go. I told you it was more complicated. The first expression transforms the 3D space of the text layer to the 2D space of the Beam layer so that matches the position in the 2D plane of the composition. You'll have to use the baseline offset in the text palette to make horizontal adjustments in the position of the end of the beam. If you want to control both horizontal position and vertical position relative to the end of the beam you'll need to add an Anchor Point text animator. (check the help files).

The rotation expression rotates the layer in the opposite direction of the null. This keeps the text pointing to the camera. If you want to move the camera around you'll need different expressions.