5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2012 5:15 PM by Chris Cox

greyed out images when opened in photoshop CS

LPR0812

I ahve been happily using my photoshop but recently all my images are greyed out with small white and grey boxes so cannot view or change.  I have clicked on the imagine open section in history and it makes not difference.  What am I doing wrong?

• 1. Re: greyed out images when opened in photoshop CS
          Curt Y Level 7

What extension and 8 bit or 16 bit mode?  RBG or CMYK?  OS?  CS?

• 2. Re: greyed out images when opened in photoshop CS
            Level 7

You mean the transparency grid?

Update your video card driver from the GPU maker's website.

• 3. Re: greyed out images when opened in photoshop CS
              LPR0812 Level 1

I shoudl warn you that although I use CS5 relatively well to edit I am not very technical so am finding all your helpful queries rather confusing.  However, I have managed to look deeper into my program and the images are in RGB colour on 8 but /channel.  However am working in CMYK.  THe problem is that when opened the images are now in the transparency grid and in order to view them I have to Zoom in or out whic his either too large or too small to work on.  I have not changed anything on the porgram from its initial settings.  From Chris Cox's help i am not really sure what he means by this so please help.  I am unable to find any telephone number for Adobe Help except on in the US where they tell you there is a 30 mins wait and I am based in UK.  ALso not sure what extension......or what that means.  Do you have a UK number I can call or help me further?  Thanks Lucy

• 4. Re: greyed out images when opened in photoshop CS
                Curt Y Level 7

By extension mean PSD, jpeg, tiff, etc.

Some tools only work in 8 bit RGB (Image/mode).

With these kinds of issues a screen shot is really helpful.  Save it and then when writing reply, click on camera icon and browse to location.

The Help line is not all that helpfull and can involve long waits as you have noticed.  Since you are using CS5 they will not help you as they only answer questions on current version CS6. 

• 5. Re: greyed out images when opened in photoshop CS
                  Level 7

Go to the website of the company that made your video card GPU.

Download the latest drivers for your GPU model.

Follow their directions to install the updated drivers.