8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 11, 2012 7:20 AM by Biggles Lamb RSS

CS 5.1 playlist problem

Biggles Lamb Community Member

I have a number of short movies in one Encore project

There are no chapters other than at the start of each movie, each movie being is on its own timeline

I have one main menu and two sub menus, the main menu has two playlist buttons and the sub menus have a play button for each movie, each movie returns to its sub menu when it ends

I have two playlist buttons on the main menu, one to play a number of movies one after the other and the second playlist plays all the remaining movies

At the end of each playlist the DVD returns to the main menu

In a Bluray player and also a DVD player the first playlist plays OK the second repeats two of the movies

Any ideas what is the problem?

Col

• 1. Re: CS 5.1 playlist problem
          Stan Jones CommunityMVP

In a Bluray player and also a DVD player

Is this a DVD or BD?

Please post a screenshot of your flowchart.

• 2. Re: CS 5.1 playlist problem

encore.jpg

Image of Encore with playlist 2 highlighted

The project is for a standard definition PAL DVD

• 3. Re: CS 5.1 playlist problem
              Stan Jones CommunityMVP

Why all the overrides? With separate timelines, you don't need them.

And for most of them, I think you get what you are currently setting by making the end action of the timeline to be "last menu."

• 4. Re: CS 5.1 playlist problem

I do not understand your comments...

end action of the timeline to be "last menu."

What am I supposed to do when the timeline ends?

I want the timeline to return to the menu from where it was chosen

If I or any other Encore user does not set an end action you get an error message in Check Project

• 5. Re: CS 5.1 playlist problem
                  Stan Jones CommunityMVP

I do not understand your comments...

end action of the timeline to be "last menu."

What am I supposed to do when the timeline ends?

I want the timeline to return to the menu from where it was chosen

If I or any other Encore user does not set an end action you get an error message in Check Project

Sorry if that was confusing. I think we agree. You want an end action for each timeline, and you want it to be "Return to Last Menu."

From the flowchart, I believed that you were setting explicit end actions (which is okay), and worried that this might be creating a problem if there were any errors. Where you need the end actions to go to a specific place (or to the loop point on a menu, etc), you can't use "return to last." But in your project I thought you could probably use that simple option.

• 6. Re: CS 5.1 playlist problem

Thanks for the response

Strangely I retried playing the DVD in one of my players and it functioned OK

Tried it in a totally different player and again it ran OK

I have seen posts elsewhere indicating that some players misplay a disc if the menu incorporates motion, I do have a motion background in this DVD so maybe that is the root cause of the problem

• 7. Re: CS 5.1 playlist problem
                      Stan Jones CommunityMVP

Most software players do not perform just like the hardware dvd players. Certainly, simpler projects have a better chance of playing on on both type platforms.

If you did not revise this project (re the overrides, etc), I would make sure I had a build to image or folder to make other copies of the current version of the project (in addition to the current disk). Then I'd modify the project to see if I could keep the good performance on a settop player, and improve the performance on the computer playback.

• 8. Re: CS 5.1 playlist problem

Thanks Stan

I usually make an image file and use IMGBURN to make the disc

I have two standalone bluray machines (one player and one recorder) in addition to the writer in the PC  and always test out a disc on both machines before I sign it off as complete

All the individual movies work great via the menu select buttons, but as it is only one playlist that caused the problem I'll leave it as is

Many thanks