30 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2012 9:16 AM by John T Smith

Looking for advice: New Build

'Beezer

I've been following this forum, among a few other reknown hardware forums, quite vigurously over the past few weeks in an attempt to build a new rig, while researching most everything I've come across to strengthen my understanding.  I will admit, this will be my first time tackling such a task, but with the help of said forums and an experienced friend at my disposal, I'm pretty sure I'm on the right path.  I've read enough of other people's build inquiries at this point and have finally decided to put what may be my end result out for all you wonderful Adobe folks to poke at.  To help explain myself:

1. I'm using CS6; I have been centering this build around the purpose of editing footage and/or pictures as a hobby (hence my decision to get involved with this forum over the others).  I've been doing this for the past year or so with the last two versions of premiere pro/photoshop and finally decided it's time to upgrade hardware.

2. I am currently running Windows 7/64 bit, but will most likely bring in Windows 8 pro with the new rig.

3. My footage will typically come from either a GoPro or a Canon SLR (not my camera, so not exactly sure what the potential outputs are)

4. I was originally partial to overclocking, but have been swayed back and forth too much.  This is probably the main cause (and cost associated with) the decision to include some alternatives for hardware, as detailed below.  Opinions??

5. I live in Phoenix, Az  -Average room temp is probably around 75-81 F.

6. Looking to make this last as long as possible

Anyways, here is my main PCPARTPICKER BUILD. I have also been considering a few alternative pieces, such as:

Processor

i7-3770 (I have a feeling I'm going to be told to downgrade either the processor and/or motherboard, but I'd rather have both of these items on the higher end in order to survive, as long as possible, the obsolescence factor, since these tend to be the base of the rest of the system)

CPU cooler

CM Hyper EVO 212 EVO

Noctua NH-D14 (over double the price of the others though! x-| )

Zalman CNPS10X Performa

SSD

Samsung 840 Pro

CASES

A handful of Cooler Master cases (besides looks and modern technology, I think my main question/concern is fan wiring optimization via either fan controlers, PSU and/or motherboard)

In advance, I thank you for your time you've spent reading this and helping to set me on a well lit path. - CHEERS!

• 1. Re: Looking for advice: New Build
          'Beezer Level 1

BUMP?? 110 views and no replies?? Not getting any love on an Adobe build in an Adobe forum, strangely.

• 2. Re: Looking for advice: New Build
            Kris_24

Just to note, I wouldn't worry about bumping your thread unless it was on the next page without a response, but I'm new here myself so I'm not sure what the rules are on that. Sometimes it just takes a day or so for someone to respond.

In regards to your build; at a glance it looks just fine. There is one big question; what's your actual budget for this build? $1700? $2000? Depending on how much you are willing to stretch your wallet, I think a lot of people here would recommend using the 2011 socket instead of the 1155 socket (which is used by the processor you've selected). This will give you access to the most powerful processors, ergo, longevity for your system. Now, I managed to get the parts for a 2011 socket build for around $1800, but that was with careful deal hunting and waiting for things to go on sale. Generally a 2011 build will run at least $2000 I'd say.

But if you're set on going with the 3770, that's about the best you can get for that socket. Just make sure you have the 3770k, the unlocked version, just in case you do decide you want to overclock.

As for your cpu coolers, I went with the EVO myself. Since I haven't built my system yet I can't vouch for it personally, but it certainly is one of the highest recommended coolers out there, for any socket.

I would also recommend going for 32 gigs of RAM instead of 16, especially if you do any After Effects work at all.

But probably people aren't responding mainly because your build looks fine.

• 3. Re: Looking for advice: New Build
              'Beezer Level 1

Point taken - comparing mine to other threads didn't help either.  Anyways, I'd honestly like to keep it well below $2,000, and either upgrade a few parts in a few years, or do an entire new build in maybe say, 4 years.  I didn't expect my build to even get to $1,700, but here I am, after doing so much research on getting the best bang for my buck (and having a slight tendency to just "go for it" on certain parts).  I haven't started messing with AE yet, but that's probably the next on my list - I'd actually like to find an all-around Adobe class to get in on instead of continually self-teaching, like a blind man raping every possible thing with his fingers.  I've got all types of youtube videos for PrP bookmarked, ha.

I've actually been told by one other person already to go with the 2011 for a better upgrade-ability path, as the 1155 has 'died'.  Without digging my heels back into Google and citing others' comments, I'll try and recap my take-away.  I was suggested to look at a combo such as the i7 3820 with the x79 extreme6 (turns out cheaper than the sabertooth z77/3770k combo), but I started looking at reviews saying to stick with 3770k over 3820, hands down.  Some benchmark readouts I came across supported this, even without the overclocking.  Also, I got the feeling that the real reason to go with an x79 would be in anticipation for the ivy-e CPUs - but what are the chances they need to tweak the current boards anyways to better match with them??  Also, it's hard when I hear/see so many good things about ASUS Sabertooth and the 3770k.  And Sabertooth x79 is another $100; ah! I'm certainly open to hearing another argument/suggested set up for an x79 build though.  Other than the processor of course (I haven't looked any further into an x79 set up than the processor compatibility), how much would need to change on what I currently have selected?  What did your build look like?

Thanks Kris; after being an outsider looking in for countless hours of forum searching/reading the last couple weeks, it's nice to get engaged for a change!

• 4. Re: Looking for advice: New Build
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Kris said it all:

But probably people aren't responding mainly because your build looks fine.

The main reason for an 1155 platform is price and the conviction you will not need a dedicated raid controller or a third party card like AJA, BM or Matrox. As soon as you consider adding a dedicated raid controller or an AJA, BM or Matrox card, the 1155 platform is out because of the 16 PCI-e lanes and the only option is the 2011 platform. However it is more expensive, but also more future proof.

Have you taken a look at Adobe Forums: What PC to build? An update... and Planning & Building a NLE System ?

• 5. Re: Looking for advice: New Build
                  Kris_24 Level 1

If you need to keep it under $2000, going with what you have chosen is probably your best bet. If you were going with a 2011 socket build, I would strongly recommend going with the 3930k over the 3820. It is +$200, but from all reports (can't wait to try it out myself!) it will chew through DSLR footage like nobody's business. Plus you get six-core bragging rights.

The x79 board that I went with is the ASUS p9x79 LE, which is the entry-level board in a very well regarded series for x79 builds. You might have to change your memory as well, I was scared off of using the Ares memory with the 2011 socket by a couple forum posts. I went with Ripjaws Z for my memory (1866 speed, however, since they were out of stock of 1600 when I ordered).

My 2011 socket build: (values rounded to nearest dollar)

Motherboard - Asus P9X79 Le = $240

CPU - Intel i7 3930k = $500

CPU cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo = after rebate $25

GPU - Galaxy 660 Ti = after rebate $225

RAM - 32GB (4 x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws Z 1866 = $110

Power Supply - 850W Certified 80 PLUS GOLD modular = after rebate $100

Case - Thermaltake Level 10 GTS Snow White = after rebate $60

Optical Drive; Card Reader - Samsung; Rosewill = $21

OS - Win 7 Pro = $120

Case Fans - (4) Cooler Master 120mm = already owned

Disk Storage

128GB Crucial M4 SSD = $80

(3) 1TB WD RE4 7200 64MB cache = $70 each = $210

(Backup) - 3TB Seagate USB 3 External = already owned

Total Damage: $1691 - list price is $2394!

Regarding the "future proofing" of going with the 2011 platform; well, that's what we all hope for, but Intel is notorious for changing their sockets with the seasons. Ivy Bridge-E should be on 2011, but the next generation, Haswell is almost certainly going to be on a new socket. So don't expect to be able to upgrade much, whichever platform you choose. However, it is true that performance-wise, 2011 will have much more longevity than 1155.

By the way, don't forget to factor in the cost of your OS! I noticed you left that off your PC parts picker list.

• 6. Re: Looking for advice: New Build
                    'Beezer Level 1

The legend himself has stopped by - I feel blessed!  I've read many many posts/comments/replies of yours, Harm, all of which have helped me the last few weeks.  Thank you for breaking it down like that; that helps!  I'm currently dabbling with your RAID article as well, so we'll see where RAID takes me.  Since I have the opportunity to ask, is there a sensible RAID configuration for the two WD drives and an OS/software SSD?  I assume the external backup drive wouldn't be included, which leaves the aformentioned three drives.

I haven't read through those articles yet, but I have now opened them and will take a look to see if there are any other considerations that I may have missed.

Kris, it's looking like I'll be leaning towards the build I've set up already, but I'm still bouncing the idea around in my head.

Regarding RAM, ya, all my research finally led me to the Ares due to the low profile build.  The feeling I was getting was the Ripjaws X was quite similar but with a gigantic heatsink attached, which sounded a little over the top for the RAM's need for heat dissipation, or lack there of rather.  I also do recall reading that the Z series was made for the 2011 boards, so that switch makes sense.  I was originally looking at 32, but I think I'm going to give 16 a whirl for now (I'm upgrading from a current build with 8) and see how bad I want the additional 16. Predictions on me wanting that additional 16? Harm? O, also, correct me if my understanding is wrong, but it's better to go with 2x 8GB chips instead of 4x 4GB chips, yes?

I actually was in a battle with myself of whether to get the 660ti or the 670.  What is making you go with that over the 670, even with such a rig as yours?  Does the Bus/ROP difference big you at all?

Thanks guys!

• 7. Re: Looking for advice: New Build
                      Harm Millaard Level 7

With 8 DIMM slots available on a 2011 board, you have a choice of 4 x 4GB and adding 4 more in the future for 32 GB total. For PR that is enough, but with AE it may be beneficial to grow to 64 GB, but that would mean you have to start with 4 x 8GB, because of the quad channel memory architecture.

The 670 is faster than the 660 Ti, but is also more costly. If your budget is tight, I would suggest the 660 Ti, because the performance difference is pretty small in comparison to the price difference. On a 3930K my preference would be the 670 despite the higher price and if budget allows it. On a quad core CPU with limited L3 cache I would opt for the 660 Ti, but with a hexa core and the bigger L3 cache you can profit more from the extra bandwidth of the 670.

BTW, my complete setup is specified on the 'Price tag' page and includes the 680/4GB overclocked by almost 15%. See http://ppbm7.com/index.php/the-price-tag

• 8. Re: Looking for advice: New Build
                        Kris_24 Level 1

Regarding RAID, I should mention that the advice given to me here was that since I work with DSLR and AVCHD footage, I would see more of a performance increase from putting more money toward the CPU and memory than putting drives in RAID. This is because H264 (which DSLRs and GoPRos use) and AVCHD are highly compressed codecs don't really require a huge amount of disk throughput, but do put a lot of strain on the processor. So the biggest benefit you would get with a RAID with these formats would be if you were working with a lot of simultanous tracks. At least thats my take from what I've read/been told.

Also, I think it was Harm who mentioned in the past that WD Caviar Black drives are not good for RAID. Can't remember why off the top of my head, I'm sure he'll enlighten us if he comes back to thsi thread.

So, 660Ti vs 670. Well...I had two considerations when I was getting my GPU; I wanted it equal to or less than $300 and I wanted a card with good cooling.(those cards that come with just one fan and are completely enclosed look like a heat trap to me!) 660Ti met those requirements, I couldn't find any 670 cards that did. I haven't been able to find many relevant benchmarks, but AnandTech's take was that the 660Ti is 88% of the performance for 75% of the price of a 670.

• 9. Re: Looking for advice: New Build
                          Kris_24 Level 1

Harm Millaard wrote:

BTW, my complete setup is specified on the 'Price tag' page and includes the 680/4GB overclocked by almost 15%. See http://ppbm7.com/index.php/the-price-tag

Harm, I thought the recommendation was not to overclock GPUs because the MPE didn't play well with overclocks? Has this changed?

• 10. Re: Looking for advice: New Build
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

Kris,

The standard GPU speed of the GTX 680 is 1006 MHz. The 'Classified' model from EVGA that I have, has a standard speed of 1111 MHz and I overclocked that marginally to 1141 MHz. For the memory, I overclocked the standard 1502 MHz of the already overclocked Classified to 1577 MHz, bringing the memory bandwidth to 201.9 GB/s from the standard 192.26 GB/s. Voltage is not adjusted.

I have run extensive stress tests with these settings and not had any problems. My idle temp of the GPU is around 33C and under heavy load remains below 56C. The fan speed remains under 52% under stress testing, but the GPU load is then around 92-99%. If I want I could adjust the fan speed curve to get even lower temps at the cost of fan noise, but I did not consider it worthwhile.

I'm not saying that every video card can be overclocked to the same level, but my card handles these seettings fine without any problem and without artifacts. Even after 30 minutes stress testing not a single problem. PR uses far less from the GPU than such a stress test, so I feel confident PR will never experience any problem with these settings. I have not tried out even higher overclocks, but with the temps at this moment, that should not be a problem.

• 11. Re: Looking for advice: New Build
                              Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

My last experiment on overclocking was with the 500 series cards and I found no performance change.  I guess I will have to go back and retest, maybe the 600 series has advantages that the 500 series did not. 

• 12. Re: Looking for advice: New Build
                                'Beezer Level 1

So Kris just confirmed what kind of codec I'll be dealing with mostly - H264.  I'm now putting together two rig configurations, one for a 2011 board (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rB3U) and the other for a 1155 board (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rAWk) and comparing the costs.  The 2011 board is definitely looking like a $2,000+ build at this point.  Looking at Harm's budget/economical/warrior build write-up, I'd think I'm looking at an economical build.  One difference I notice beteween the two is the need for a RAID controller, and thus the thought that I may not dig into RAID configurations - maybe that's not the right way to think about it though?

Harm (or an of you guys really..),

So what I'm taking away from your comment regarding the GPU is that if I go with a 1155 board, the 660 Ti would make more sense.  Alternatively, the 670 would be the board for a 2011 board.  (new realization: the 670 has a promotion that includes two new games with purchase, at a value of $100 total - could be my excuse to go with the 670 regardless...ha)

Since you didn't even mention a 16GB ram config, and after Kris's input on ram being a factor when dealing with H264 footage, I take it that I'll be better off starting with 32GB and simply putting the 16GB thought behind me?  I've read a few posts from you saying the more ram the better, but also read many posts saying 16GB alone is overkill for most people.

One other aspect that I haven't asked about or looked around for is the cache of the HDD.  Should I reconsider my original caviar black 32 cache and go for the RE4 64??  Is the HDD cache going to show considerable differences (at only $15 difference)?

Thanks guys!  Loving the chat

• 13. Re: Looking for advice: New Build
                                  Harm Millaard Level 7

It is pretty easy for PR to use more than 16 GB memory. Yesterday I tried it out while playing back a 7 track timeline and memory in use went up to nearly 24 GB. On a 1155 platform, the most common memory configurations are 16 or 32 GB, on the 2011 platform 16, 32 or 64 GB.

For PR is looks that 32 GB is the maximum you can possibly need, but with AE, that gobbles up all it can get, 64 GB makes sense.

• 14. Re: Looking for advice: New Build
                                    JEShort01 Level 4

Beezer,

My thoughts are responding to you most recent post and the PC Part Picker listing for the 2011 board build:

- definitely go with the 3930k solution; way worth the overall system build increase

- definitely go with 32GB (suggest Newegg Z series G. Skill 4 x 8GB kit for $144.99) - $65 increase (come on, face it you are building a strong system here and balance is important)

- definitely scale back your SSD size if you are serious about your budget; suggest Samsung 830 128Gb (Newegg $135) - $85 savings

(Samsung 840 Pro is also nice for $15 more, do not buy a Samsung 830 non-pro); 128GB is plenty for a OS/programs drive (turn on hibernate feature so OS does not use up space equal to the size of RAM that you have installed)

- save $70 buy finding a Micro Center that you can buy the cpu from (cannot mail order)

- I don't understand why you would base which GPU to use on which MB you get; GTX 670 and GTX 660 Ti are both excellent BFTB choices for a strong system

- drives... I prefer the RE4 w/ 64GB of cache for the $15/each extra; if you NEED to save some more on this build, search out the open box deals which save some cash and provide drives with almost their original warranty in place (refurbs often have very short wttys). Another drive option all together would be to start with a single 2 or 3 TB drive and add more capacity later on.

Regards,

Jim

• 15. Re: Looking for advice: New Build
                                      Kris_24 Level 1

I have to echo all of JEShort01's recommendations. If you do indeed go with a 2011 build, the 3930k is awesome. 32 Gigs of RAM would make a good balance as well whichever platform you build. You can help the budget by cutting back to a 128 gig ssd.

In addition to that I would suggest bumping up your power supply to an 850 Watt, especially if you go with a 3930k and 670. The 670 draws a bit more power than the 660ti.

I wish I had my system up and running so I could give you an idea as to what a budget 2011 system can do with DSLR  footage. I was going to start building it today but then I went and broke my leg yesterday (Icy winter here). Yeah. So I have another few days of staring at my beautiful parts before I can have someone help me put it together.

• 16. Re: Looking for advice: New Build
                                        'Beezer Level 1

Thanks Harm.

JEShort01, I appreciate the words of advice.  Unfortunately I don't have a Micro Center anywhere near me (AZ :-/ ) but I may consider asking a friend that does to pick one up for me.  Two points that I want to shoot back your way:

-You and Kris have suggested down-sizing my SSD to 128 (which would realistaclly be closer to 100 of usable space I would assume?).  My roommate just built a 3770k build (my inspiration to take on a new build) and has a 250 SSD - with CS6, office, and a good amount of other core software and he's already at 80Gb capacity.  Now, maybe I'm confusing SSD performance with HDD performance, but isn't it better to allow for a decent buffer of unused space, for performance/speed?  If so, 128 seems like it would be cutting it close..?  Plextor as a brand has nothing but (as far as I've seen) high remarks when it comes to performance and quality; and the M5P has shown some impressive results with the new generation of technology pumped in it, along with the 840 Pro.  Cutting back to 128 M5P would give the same savings.

-You suggest cutting back to only 1 HDD for now (don't see too much of an issue with that...for now) but readingn Harm's disk drive suggestions, having at least 3 (SSD and 2 HDD in my case) is optimal.  What's the thought behind reducing? Saving money for now?

Kris!! BUMMER man!  Sorry to hear.  Throw some titanium in that sucker and stitch it up, haha.  I'll keep an eye on the PSU thought, thanks.  Best wishes during your recovery.

I'm so close!! (Btw, any good suggestions for places to list my previous rig for sale?  I've only posted to craigslist so far...)

• 17. Re: Looking for advice: New Build
                                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Beezer,

The Plextor M5 Pro has a very good reputation, but so do the Corsair Neutron, Samsung 840 and Kingston HyperX.

SSD's do not suffer from fill rate degradation, but their life expectancy depends very much on the overprovisioning that is available, due to the limited write cycles. The size has no impact on life expectancy, unless the bigger ones have more overprovisioning space.

I have the Corsair Performance Pro 256 GB SSD, which gives 238 GB formatted. I have the complete Master Collectrion CS6 installed, plus several plug-ins like Magic Bullet Looks, all Pixelan plug-ins, Color Finesse, Surcode, a number of utilities etc. but no Office on this system, but have the complete Joomla installed with the new PPBM7 website. I have 194 GB free on my boot disk.

My feeling is that 128 GB is more than enough for a boot disk, but if you also install Office, games (which you should not do on an editing rig, but that advise is not always followed) and a lot of plug-ins, then it may become a bit small.

On my old systrem I have a 150 GB Velociraptor, formatted 139 GB and despite pollution on that system, Master Collections CS5, CS5.5 and CS6, and a lot of utilities and programs one collects in three years, the existing PPBM5 website with all the data submissions, the new PPBM7 website, etc. I still have 60 GB free. Reminds me I have to do some cleaning on the old system.

• 18. Re: Looking for advice: New Build
                                            JEShort01 Level 4

Beezer,

Yes, my reasoning on starting out to use yourr budget to build a rockin' system with only 1 SSD + 1 HD was to use your budget wisely and it a way that you can add to it later. I had picked up (possibly wrongly) that you were considering starting w/ 2 sticks of 8GB RAM and presumably considering going to 32GB on down the road when budget allows. Starting with only the single HD would be a poorly balanced system, but it would still work and can be easly be upgraded without throwing anything out later on and with mimimal risk and configuration hassles.

My thoughts for most builds are to lock down the motherboard, RAM, boot drive, controller configuration, power supply, GPU, and case. Future growth can be done later by adding additional drives with minimal risk of de-stabilizing a sound system. I'm not opposed to future CPU upgrades to a stable build and have done this myself, however then you have some used parts to deal with.

Regarding the boot size for a SSD, I maintain that 128GB should be enough. Do reconfigure Windows to not put a hibernate file on it and it would probably be a good idea to not fill it more than 90%. This is way higher than what I would say for rotating drives (70 to 75% fill limit recommended) as this technology experience NTFS fragmentation meltdown and increased use on the slower portions of the rotating platters (the smaller inside surface).

Regards,

Jim

• 19. Re: Looking for advice: New Build
                                              'Beezer Level 1

Quick thought to get off my mind - If I go with a 128 SSD for boot/software, and at some point it turns out to fall short of the space I need, can I simply throw another SSD in the mix and start installing software on it?  Any concerns/issues with that?

Thanks for the tip on the hibernate configuration - I just did some quick research on that and found some good tips on managing/reducing used space on the OS drive, ie SSDs.

• 20. Re: Looking for advice: New Build
                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

At the bottom of this page http://ppbm7.com/index.php/final-results?showall=&start=3 it gives full instructions on how to removev the hyberfil.sys file.

For a lot of programs there is no problems whatsoever to instell them on a second SSD, but Adobe is best placed on the C: drive.

• 21. Re: Looking for advice: New Build
                                                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't use SSD, but I have Win7 64bit Pro and CS5 Master Collection and MS Office Pro and all the "usual" My Documents files... and I only use 70gig

• 22. Re: Looking for advice: New Build
                                                    'Beezer Level 1

Update, if you're curious:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rTLa

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/rTLQ

Great link Harm, thanks.  Will be referencing that for Windows 8 setup.

• 23. Re: Looking for advice: New Build
                                                      'Beezer Level 1

2 things as I make my way to the check-out aisle here:

1) I've read some concerns with going to Win8 so early in its existance, with regards to CS6, and maybe CS in general.  Should I avoid Win8 for now and stick to Win7 for a few more months??

2) Should the 2011 build (http://pcpartpicker.com/p/t1cq) be upraded to a 850 PSU instead of a 750, as suggested earlier?

• 24. Re: Looking for advice: New Build
                                                        Kris_24 Level 1

I know Harm and a few others have adopted Win 8, so they can give you some ideas as to how it works in practice. I can tell you that I went with Win 7 myself, as I just thought the new interface looked ridiculously inefficient if one didn't have a touch interface. The big thing is that it is very good performance wise, so its simply a matter of getting used to the interface overhaul. I guess it boils down to whether you want to stick with the proven or take a bit of a risk and jump out there.

Looking at your build (which is quite similar to mine, I note ) I would reaffirm my recommendation to bump up the power supply, especially as your 670 will draw more power than my 660ti (170 vs 150). Better safe than sorry, right? Also, if you were interested, the Antec 850 Gold I bought is on sale for a mere $5 more (or $35 less if the rebate works...still waiting on mine). Granting my extremely limited experience with it so far (finished my build 2 days ago), it seems like a nice item. It even comes with shielded cables and fancy bags, ha ha.

Good luck on your build! It will help you immensely if you have someone helping you if this is your first build; two heads are better than one when it comes to deciding some of the little things that come up.

• 25. Re: Looking for advice: New Build

I have Win7 and my wife has Win8 on the computer I built for her last month http://www.pacifier.com/~jtsmith/ADOBE.HTM

Once you get past the new "android app looking" Start screen, and as long as you are not using an "app space" program, Win8 still runs "classic" programs just like Win7

She rarely uses any of the "app space" programs, but she does use the Start screen's icons as a menu to start almost everything... there are a couple programs (not at her computer) that do not put icons on the Start screen, so she just clicks the DESKTOP icon to jump over to the old style desktop, and clicks the actual program icons from there

If you do decide to build with Win7 I would not suggest upgrading to Win8 later... this is just MY experience, but I have never had an in place Windows upgrade work properly... there have always been issues of one sort or another, so my practice has been to wipe the drive and install everything fresh

Of course, my experience with upgrade in place problems is not recent, so it is possible that a Win7 to Win8 upgrade will work

• 26. Re: Looking for advice: New Build
                                                            'Beezer Level 1

Well, I've finally pressed the purchase button on everything and this is what the finished product will look like (I added in everything else that I'll be reusing as well, so the total cost isn't reflective, necessarily):

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ttAM

Thanks again for all the input and nudging.  Hoping I don't run into [too many] problems.

Cheers

• 27. Re: Looking for advice: New Build

I would use a different case, due to the included 4 case fans, but that is just personal choice

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225
                                                              • 28. Re: Looking for advice: New Build
                                                                thetrainingparamedic

Harm I appreciate your usefull tips.

I have read your thread on a new build, and hopefully you and others may help me out with our build.

I do video editing with Pr, small amount of Ae, lots of reformatting of produced mp4's into differ sizes for uploading to our website. Video is usually AVCHD from a Sony vg10. Also a lot of Captivate work.

A lot of material is saved on the network servers, but we want to go away from them and have internal storage.

We are looking for a second video editing machine, and are considering the Alienware Aurora.

For roughly $2,800 we would get:

I-7 3930k Sandy, OC'd to 4.1

16gb RAM @1600

Gtx 690 with 4gb ram, no OC

1tb 6gbs hard drive@7200rpm

We currently run an HP z820 with a Xeon @2.7, 20gbRAM, Qaudro 4000 and a single 1tb 7200rpm HDD.

It seems fine, takes awhile to produce finished products but I have nothing to compare it to. It was purchased by the IT guys, and I think they paid >$5,000 for it (they like HP).

Would this Aurora be comparable speed wise?

I'm still trying to figure out what's the difference, other than price, between the Qaudro line and the GtX.

And what do you recommend as an internal storage solution?

RAID something I guess, I read the entire Wicki on RAID, and I built my home machine with one years ago, but for this stuff Im lost. Would a SSD be money-wise a good idea for the OS/boot?

Seriously appreciate any advice guys.

Thanks,

Jeff

• 29. Re: Looking for advice: New Build
                                                                  Alex - DV411 Level 2

We are looking for a second video editing machine, and are considering the Alienware Aurora.

For roughly $2,800 we would get:

I-7 3930k Sandy, OC'd to 4.1

16gb RAM @1600

Gtx 690 with 4gb ram, no OC

1tb 6gbs hard drive@7200rpm

They seem to offer neither the GTX-670 nor 660 Ti (two most popular choices) - so I'd downgrade the 690 to 680, at least.  The 690 offers no benefit over 680 but eats a lot more power and far... produces a lot of heat.

Would also consider getting 32GB RAM especially if you plan on round-tripping (dynamic-linking) between Pr and AE or running other apps simultaneously with Pr or AE.

AE CS6 has a great new feature called Global Performance Cache which could really use an SSD.  You could allocate a portion of your boot/OS SSD to it provided it's large enough.

And what do you recommend as an internal storage solution?

Aurora offers a 6TB internal RAID0 (2x 3TB) and that's usually enough for most purposes.

HP Z820 can take up to eight internal drives (six LFF or four LFF + four SFF) so you could outfit it with internal storage, too.

We currently run an HP z820 with a Xeon @2.7, 20gbRAM, Qaudro 4000 and a single 1tb 7200rpm HDD.

It seems fine, takes awhile to produce finished products but I have nothing to compare it to. It was purchased by the IT guys, and I think they paid >$5,000 for it (they like HP).

Would this Aurora be comparable speed wise?

Yes - probably faster.  Build quality, ease of maintenance, expandability will not be the same, but it'll be a decent video editing system.

• 30. Re: Looking for advice: New Build

>still trying to figure out what's the difference, other than price, between the Qaudro line and the GtX

According to what I have read in this forum, the Quadro has 10 bit output for those people who want a 10 bit monitor

If you don't have a 10 bit monitor, the GTX line costs less and is (again, from reading) faster due to more CUDA cores and/or memory bandwidth