10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2012 4:13 PM by Brett N

PSE11 organizer cannot start online services

golferjacks

After installing PSE11, when trying to start Organizer, I keep getting the message " cannot start online services---reinstall--".  I have reinstalled many times, including once with no online services started after a restart of the computer.  The Editor works fine.  I am running a Dell with Windows 7.

• 1. Re: PSE11 organizer cannot start online services
          Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

Moving this discussion to the Photoshop Elements forum.   Have you double checked your software firewall settings?  Perhaps Organizer is not being allowed to access the Internet?

• 2. Re: PSE11 organizer cannot start online services
            golferjacks Level 1

I had a 3 hour online chat with Adobe support.  They finally got Organizer running, by setting up a new account/ user name.  There is something mixed up in the sharing permissions for my account/user name.  Adobe never was able to fix the problem under my original account log in.  All works now, but I have to switch users when I want to use PSE 11.  Kind of a  drag, but I hope to research the permissions information to fix the problem under the other user name.

• 3. Re: PSE11 organizer cannot start online services
              Jeff A Wright Adobe Employee

Excellent thank you for the update Golferjacks.  Do you have a case number which I might be able to use to review the interaction you had with our support team?  It is entirely possible that the permission issues with your previous user account maybe unresolvable but I wouldn't mind double checking.

• 4. Re: PSE11 organizer cannot start online services
                golferjacks Level 1

They sent me a new message today and something to try, but unfortunately it did not work.  The case number they sent me is case #0183855496, but I think the number is invalid.  If I talk to them again I will post the correct number.

• 5. Re: PSE11 organizer cannot start online services
                  saurabh288 Level 4

It seems that Elements Organizer is unable to access the online services and that is why this error message is coming. Can you please try to install on some other drive with your original account?

• 6. Re: PSE11 organizer cannot start online services
                    Brett N Adobe Employee

I know I can purpously break the Online Services, but you would normally be able to launch without them. The Organizer doesn't need these services to run the rest of the application. Then only need to be available when you actually try to use them. When I purposely break things, I get this message: "Online Services could not be initialized. Please reinstall. Press OK to continue without Online Services." Is this the full text of the error you have? If so, the permissions you will want to check are for you User folder (which would explain why this works fine in a new account).

Go to C:\Users\[Your User Name]\Roaming\App Data\Adobe\. Look for a folder called Online Services. If this is there, check the permissions on this folder and make sure you have read and write permissions. If this folder is not there, check the permissions on the Adobe folder and make sure you have read and write permissions. If the permissions are OK on each, open the Online Services folder and look for a folder called "Photoshop Elements 11.0.0". If it is there, check its permissions. This folder should contain the folders Cache and Clients. The files within these folders will depend on the actions you have performed with Online Services within Photoshop Elements.

You can also delete the Online Services folder with the Organizer closed. On next launch of Organizer, this whole folder tree will be recreated with default contents.

• 7. Re: PSE11 organizer cannot start online services
                      golferjacks Level 1

I looked again at the permissions for those folders and they are all marked with allow all functions.  The Online Services folder does not have anything in it.  The ADOBE person had deleted the Photoshop Elements 11.0.0 folder and it is sitting in the recycle bin.  Under the new user name, Organizer opens and does not repopulate the Online Services folder.  When I click OK on the error message, under the old user name, I get a message that there is a program error and Adobe must close.  So, even though it does not need the Photoshop Elements 11.0.0 folder, it stll will not run under the old user name.

• 8. Re: PSE11 organizer cannot start online services
                        Brett N Adobe Employee

If things were working properly, the Online Services content would be recreated at the launch of the application. And as for the new user account not reproducing the contents of the Online Services folder, are you checking the folder for that new user account (each user account gets its own Online Services folder).

We are looking at a more extensive issue then, because PSE should run just fine clicking OK and simply not running the Online Services. The Online Services here are just a simptom of a larger problem with something else going on with this user account. Unfortunately, there is a lot of stuff that happens with individual user accounts than can really be dealt with by our software or support. The only other advice we can really give is listed here:

Troubleshoot unexpected behavior | User account-specific | Adobe software | Windows 7, Vista

• 9. Re: PSE11 organizer cannot start online services
                          golferjacks Level 1

Oops, you are correct.  Online Services is being populated in the new account, but not the old account.

• 10. Re: PSE11 organizer cannot start online services
                            Brett N Adobe Employee

The above document has you go through everything that is user specific as far as Adobe is concerned. If these steps do not work, it means that the problem lies with files not created or controlled by Adobe. At that point, we're talking about files Adobe doesn't want to mess around with because they don't belong to us and we wouldn't be able to say what would be a safe action to perform against them.