11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2013 3:42 PM by ElJayBronx RSS

Encore-created Blu-Ray: Playing the .m2ts file in the Streams folder

ElJayBronx Community Member

Suddenly I can't do this anymore!

In order to review a Blu-Ray video I made in Encore, I currently need to burn an actual disc from the ISO image I created and play that (wasting a blank disc).

I've heard that UFUSOFT Blu-Ray player plays mounted ISO files (but it costs $40); Cyber-Link 8 (not Ultra) on my PC won't do it (claims unsupported media format). But I used to be able to get VLC Media Player to play the .m2ts file (0000.m2ts) that's located in the STREAMS directory of the mounted ISO file (or in the BDMV/STREAMS folder of a Blu-Ray folder created in Encore). Suddenly (with the newest VLC), it won't recognize those .m2ts files anymore. VLC Media Player, probably the most tolerant of playback engines, now says: "VLC could not read the file (Bad file descriptor)." As a troubleshooting exercise, I mounted an older ISO image (from about two years ago) and that .m2ts file won't read anymore either.

Why is a file labeled as .m2ts some kind of mutant that won't play like a normal .m2ts file?  I can tell you that at one point in time they used to be playable in an earlier version of VLC. The file won't mount in Premiere as a clip, either, but Premiere's excuse is: "The file has an unsupported compression type."

I know that if I was able to find a way to play the .m2ts stream I would sacrifice the menus, but the discs I create don't usually have menus; they are generally full-length opera performances from local New York companies that I have the company's permission to sell back to the singers (who just want to put the disc in the player and press "Play").

I'd love to get this solved; Blu-Ray blanks are still about $1.00 each (vs. DVDs at about 20 cents or less if you know where to shop). It's not the end of the world but it does add up. Buying Ufusoft's solution might not be a bad idea but one would have to waste a lot of Blu-Ray discs to justify its $40 cost...

Jay

Windows 7-64

Premiere CS6

i7 processor, 12G RAM, NVIDIA Mercury-compliant video card

• 2. Re: Encore-created Blu-Ray: Playing the .m2ts file in the Streams folder

Jim: I think I understand why you suggested that...but it actually doesn't solve the problem. After some additional troubleshooting I think I have a work-around for the issue:

Create a folder of the BD ISO and use it to extract the m2ts file.

Not completely sure why my preferred playback method doesn't work although the hints from some of my further troubleshooting efforts might be a clue. I tried to copy the file (remember, this is a huge file, possibly 12-15GB) from the mounted ISO image and get a DOS error. Whether I use a command-line copy or the copy/past analogy we use in the graphical OS I get the same error.

Remember, VLC indicates "Bad file descriptor" but when played from a BD FOLDER that same 00000.m2ts file works fine!

Perhaps whatever allows the BD standard to ride roughshod over old file limitations in creating the ISO file makes Win7 and the DOS underpinnings (that we were supposed to have lost as of NT and XP) cough. I suspect it has to do with file size limitations somewhere...oh well. I just need to convert these to folders when I need to use the underlying files, I guess. Thanks for trying, though...

• 3. Re: Encore-created Blu-Ray: Playing the .m2ts file in the Streams folder
            JSS1138 Community Member

it actually doesn't solve the problem.

It did for me in that it plays BD files without issue (and it's the only freeware player I found that would).

• 4. Re: Encore-created Blu-Ray: Playing the .m2ts file in the Streams folder

Yes, but playing from a folder (which I can do too) or playing from ISO (which I can’t)?

• 5. Re: Encore-created Blu-Ray: Playing the .m2ts file in the Streams folder
                chande a k Community Member

. But I used to be able to get VLC Media Player to play the .m2ts file (0000.m2ts) that's located in the STREAMS directory of the mounted ISO file (or in the BDMV/STREAMS folder of a Blu-Ray folder created in Encore). Suddenly (with the newest VLC), it won't recognize those .m2ts files

The file won't mount in Premiere as a clip, either, but Premiere's excuse is: "The file has an unsupported compression type."

Strange...my files extracted from BD -   BDMV/STREAMS folder  ( 0000.m2ts).. I can play this file in VLC and I have no problem in opening this file in Premiere CS6 also

• 6. Re: Encore-created Blu-Ray: Playing the .m2ts file in the Streams folder
                  JSS1138 Community Member

or playing from ISO (which I can’t)?

Correct.  VLC will do it for DVD images, but I haven't found any software that can for BD images.  You will need the actual video files.  I recommended that player because in the past, even the venerable VLC could not handle BD video files.  (Seems that may have changed with recent updates, if you say it now does..)

• 7. Re: Encore-created Blu-Ray: Playing the .m2ts file in the Streams folder

I think there may be something about the sheer size of the 00000.m2ts file (12-20GB) that's in the streams folder that doesn't invite copying from the ISO image. Whatever it is also won't allow VLC or any other player to play the file. From a folder, no problem. From a burned disc, no problem. From a mounted ISO - no go. VOB files in DVDs work fine which is why I suspect it's a size issue; similarly, copying that file from mounted ISO to hard drive won't work either (of all things I get a DOS error when trying).

I use MagicISO to mount the disc; I wonder if there might be yet a different tool that does a better job of mimicing a real Blu-Ray disc on mounting.

Jay

• 8. Re: Encore-created Blu-Ray: Playing the .m2ts file in the Streams folder
                      Ann Bens CommunityMVP

I use Virtual Clone Drive and Power DVD for viewing BD iso's.

• 9. Re: Encore-created Blu-Ray: Playing the .m2ts file in the Streams folder

I guess MagicISO isn't so magic after all...Virtual Clone Drive doesn't produce the errors. Thanks so much. After some usage, it appears that Magic Disc, which I've used for years to mount ISO images, works fine with DVDs but introduces a DOS error when trying to play the huge files created by Blu-Ray authoring tools. I suspect somewhere along the way the DOS limitations that cause DVDs to limit the size of VOD files, and string several of them together to create a DVD, can prohibit these files of 10 and 15 GB to read properly. Virtual Clone Drive seems to overcome that limitation (as, obviously, does the Blu-Ray standard).

Again, thanks so much for the introduction to this great free program!

Jay

• 10. Re: Encore-created Blu-Ray: Playing the .m2ts file in the Streams folder
                          goatmantoo Community Member

Has anyone found an answer on how to burn a BluRay disc in Encore CS6? I have burned a dozen bluray disc coasters trying to burn my video file to disc through Encore CS6. I've seen numerous issues in Adobe forums recounting this same Code 3 error failed to write M2S file "create stc sequence". I had to purchase Nero to burn the blu ray image created in Encore CS6. After spending big bucks on Adobe CS6 Creative Production Premium! With so many customers experiencing this same issue, it seems that the Adobe folks didn't even try to test the bluray burning application. And, Adobe still has not provided a fix for this issue to their loyal customers. This is totally unacceptable and reprehensible customer service.

Adobe, when will this issue be RESOLVED!!!!!

Irritated Customer!

• 11. Re: Encore-created Blu-Ray: Playing the .m2ts file in the Streams folder

I've never burned a disc directly from Encore, although I've created numerous Blu-Ray images. Create the image, then have a program like ImgBurn burn the image to disc. I've never had the transcode fail and never had ImgBurn fail to burn a Blu-Ray (couple of DVDs didn't work but not Blu-Ray).

I can't imagine investing the time to burn a disc, dvd or Blu-Ray, directly from ANY software when there's another choice. There are too many variables that can make it fail. Make a folder OR (I prefer) an ISO image and burn THAT. At least if there's a problem you haven't wasted a disc as well as your time...