9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2012 9:27 AM by Stephen Barrante

Edit in Audition, sequence huge!

Stephen Barrante Level 1

I've been working on several 2-3 minute sequences in Premiere. Each contain a few clips and stereo audio track. To master the track in Audition I've been selecting Edit -> Edit in Audtion -> Sequence, and select from the PopUp "Work Area".

My expectation would be that only the exact length of the edit, indicated at the top with the orange IN/OUT points of the work area would then create a sequence of equal length in Audition. It does not. What I get is a sequence about 5hrs long, which I have to zoom WAY into in order to see the sliver that is the 1:30 piece of audio.

Also feel like there was a time when it did to this but since starting this project I know I've run at least one update on the applications - maybe something changed?

Am I not understanding the workflow here or maybe I don't have the work area properly selected?

Thanks,
      Stephen

• 1. Re: Edit in Audition, sequence huge!
          Jim_Simon Level 8

In/Out points are not the same as the Work Area.

• 2. Re: Edit in Audition, sequence huge!
            Stephen Barrante Level 1

The work area has "in" and "out" points, no?

Not the same as the setting the in/out point of a select (for insert/cut, etc) - that's not what I'm referring to.

• 3. Re: Edit in Audition, sequence huge!
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Ah, got it.

Tried it here and the process gives no option to select how much of a sequence goes over.  The entire sequence goes.

• 4. Re: Edit in Audition, sequence huge!
                the_wine_snob Level 9

There are little "brackets," at control the IN & OUT Points for the WAB, but, as Jim states, they are separate from the Sequence's IN & OUT Points.

By default, as one adds Clips to the Timeline, the WAB expands to include those. However, the WAB IN & OUT Points can then be set, independently from any IN & OUT Points for the Sequence. Once the WAB has been set, it will no longer "grow" to include added Clips. To get it back to include those, hit the \ (Backslash) key, to zoom the Timeline out, then just Dbl-click on the little "box" in the middle of the WAB, to expand it to include the entire Sequence.

A click+drag on the IN, or OUT WAB bracket will allow one to adjust just the WAB, to what the user needs.

The WAB can be used for several things, but is most often used to limit Exports and Renders. However one neat feature is to use it to get the Duration of several Clips - set it, as needed, then hover the Cursor over that little box, to get a read-out of info. I use that, when scoring, and needing to find the Duration of a lot of Clips, without doing the math.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Edit in Audition, sequence huge!
                  Stephen Barrante Level 1

I think we are on the same page. So I've been allowing the "WAB" to grow as needed to accomodate the clips that are in the sequence.

This feels potentially like a bug, as you are clearly given the opportunity to say "use Work Area" of a sequenece, which should set the max length of the sequenece in audition.

Actually, just for kicks I did set "in/out" points on top of the work area, but that didn't work.

• 6. Re: Edit in Audition, sequence huge!
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

you are clearly given the opportunity to say "use Work Area" of a sequenece

I wasn't.

• 7. Re: Edit in Audition, sequence huge!
                      Stephen Barrante Level 1

Hey Jim - guess it's because I always have it selected.

Screen-Shot-2012-12-03-at-12.11.32-PM.jpg

• 8. Re: Edit in Audition, sequence huge!
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

My mistake.  I chose Edit Clip from the Sequence.

This does work for me.  If I limit the Work Area, only that section goes over.  Yes, the default view in Audition needs to be manually magnified for shorter sections, but only the WAB section came through.

• 9. Re: Edit in Audition, sequence huge!
                          Stephen Barrante Level 1

Maybe it's a matter of my expectations, but from a usablity standpoint, if I'm going through the trouble of selecting a specific range, the overall sequence should be a minimal size for the content that I'm editting. Actually based on the Work Area. Zooming in everytime is kind of anoying, but to make matters worse, now I have a zoom area selector at the top that is practically useless because it's SO small in order to expand a 2 minute long piece to fill the width of my screen.

If this is working "by design"... I guess I'll drop a note in the suggestion box to set the sequence to a more manageable size. Possibly a percentage (1 1/2 times) size of Work Area.

Another way to control that would be, from Premiere, if I choose "Selection: Sequence", then an extended track in Audition makese sense. If I choose "Selection: Work Area", then specifically CROP to the width of the work area.

Need to get on the Premiere Beta team now