5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2012 3:57 PM by Sanjay.

Retrieving a product key from my broken iMac?

Siderz95 Level 1

My old iMac broke a few months ago, and so I waited for the next one and ordered it last Friday.

It hasn't arrived yet, but I thought I'd ask in advance.

I searched this up once I realised that I won't be able to activate Production Premium CS5.5 on the new iMac, and people suggested calling Adobe for assistance on this. I'm wondering if it's changed now? It would be much easier if I could deactivate the old iMac from the web or something.

I have the student edition, so I only have the one key. I have the key noted down though.

I wouldn't mind upgrading to CS6, but not after I've just bought a new computer. I think it would be worth waiting for CS6.5 or CS7 (Aren't Adobe going to make X.5 updates anually from now on?).

• 1. Re: Retrieving a product key from my broken iMac?
          JairajMike Level 4

Hi Sider,

Adobe product license agreement allows the primary user to install the product on a primary computer and also on a home or laptop computer for his or her use, provided that the two copies are not used simultaneously.

If one Mac is crashed, you can still go ahead and activate the software on a second computer without any error. You receive an error saying "Too many activations" when you try to activate on a thrid computer(including the crashed one). This issue can easily be resolved by contacting Adobe Customer Service either through Phone or Chat.

Also you have mentioned that you have noted the serial number. It is always advised to register the serial number under your Adobe account instead of writing somewhere.. It is much easier for Adobe and for you to locate the serial number. .

• 2. Re: Retrieving a product key from my broken iMac?
            Siderz95 Level 1

Thanks for that, I will try it when I get the iMac.

But is that for every license? Because I only have the student & teacher edition, I think I remember reading that what you quoted only applies to full licenses/editions.

• 3. Re: Retrieving a product key from my broken iMac?
              JairajMike Level 4

Adobe End User License Agreement applies accross all the license types. Hence the above mentioned information apply for Education versions too.

FYI..

Education version products do not have ANY difference compared to a Full version with the media. The only difference is with the price.

• 4. Re: Retrieving a product key from my broken iMac?
                Siderz95 Level 1

Well it worked for me

Thanks a lot!

Had some trouble getting the discs over to a disk (Because Apple decided to remove the disc drive from the new iMacs) but it's finally done!

• 5. Re: Retrieving a product key from my broken iMac?
                  Sanjay.

Yes, I agree and happy with the absolute information Provided by Mr. Jairaj !

Please follow the information provided by Jairaj.

Also,  whenever you want to uninstall the product, please deactivate the product first and then uninstall, so it not cause any activation issue, so you can retain the activation count when you install the product on another system!

Thank you.