6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2012 8:41 AM by c.pfaffenbichler

Actions Save changed location

PhillipClark

We use actions to save multiple sizes and various formats of graphics files different locations on a network file server. Over the weekend the server was rebooted. This morning when we tried to use the actions we have been using since July the actions were unable to run, reporting that the destination folder could not be found. When looking at the distination specified in the action, the folder specified in the action displays as a different folder than was original set and was being used on Friday.

Renaming the destination folder the action is currently looking for (which is different from what it should be) in the finder causes the actions destination folder to change to the new name, regardless of if Photoshop is running during the name change or not.

These actions were saved onto a different share on the server and when I reload the actions from a disk file that has not changed since July when the actions were first implemented, the actions still point to the incorrect location.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas on how to fix the problem short of completely re-doing the actions?

This happens both in Photoshop CS4 and CS5.

---

Phil

• 1. Re: Actions Save changed location
          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas on how to fix the problem short of completely re-doing the actions?

Newly recording the saving steps and removing the obsolete ones should suffice.

• 2. Re: Actions Save changed location
            PhillipClark Level 1

I am doing that but it is frustrating because the Save for Web is now changing the file name from the document name+ext to a default name of advscroll_64+ext. And I cannot get it to stop doing that. I am about at wits end here with Photoshop, and we have to get this done so that production can proceed. These images are cruical to our online approval process for the art we generate for out customers.

• 3. Re: Actions Save changed location
              Ghoulfool Level 1

Have you tried creating a shortcut to where the files are trying to be saved and try to get around it that way?

I've have problems with network drives and UNC paths before. We even have problems with our Macs missing out the initial directory of our network. But that might be our crazy network setup. But as  C.Pfaffenbichler says you should be able to weed out the stages of the actions that no longer work and replace them with ones that do.

Otherweise i'd suggest to save locally  AND then copy to the network.

• 4. Re: Actions Save changed location
                c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

If you can’t figure out the Actions I would recommend that you use small Scripts for the saving-steps and insert those in the Actions – in the Scripts you would be able to edit the path of the target folder manually.

• 5. Re: Actions Save changed location
                  PhillipClark Level 1

Saving locally and copying negates the action usefulness. And the action is run on 20 artists macs. Getting 20 artists to manually copy files to the correct locations when those 20 artists have varying levels of computer skills is just not an option. Particularly since this worked previously. Doing that would be stepping backwards.

• 6. Re: Actions Save changed location
                    c.pfaffenbichler Level 9

Something like this could work – remove the suffix and try inserting the correct path manually for the variable myPath in the line

myDocument.exportDocument(new File(myPath+"/"+myDocName+suffix+".jpg"), ExportType.SAVEFORWEB, webOptions);

, save the file from ExtendScript Toolkit into the Presets/Scripts-folder as a jsx and, if it works, you could use that in the Action if need be.

// save for web as jpg with suffix added to name;
                    // 2011, use iat at your own risk;
                    #target photoshop
                    if (app.documents.length > 0) {
                    // the suffix;
                    var suffix = "-t";
                    ////////////////////////////////////
                    // get document-path and -title thanks to xbytor;
                    var myDocument = app.activeDocument;
                    if (myDocument.name.indexOf(".") != -1) {var myDocName = myDocument.name.match(/(.*)\.[^\.]+$/)[1]}
                    else {var myDocName = myDocument.name};
                    try {var myPath = myDocument.path}
                    catch (e) {var myPath = "~/Desktop"};
                    // save for web options;
                    var webOptions = new ExportOptionsSaveForWeb();
                    webOptions.format = SaveDocumentType.JPEG;
                    webOptions.includeProfile = true;
                    webOptions.interlaced = 0;
                    webOptions.optimized = true;
                    webOptions.quality = 60;
                    // save;
                    myDocument.exportDocument(new File(myPath+"/"+myDocName+suffix+".jpg"), ExportType.SAVEFORWEB, webOptions);
                    };