The scaffolding teamplate which you use to create scaffolding page is actually a design prototype which helps you to create similar types of pages instances very quickly without authoring each page separately (for example news, aticle types of pages) and that is the concept of scaffolding only.
For example - When you go to location http://localhost:4502/miscadmin#/etc/scaffolding/geometrixx you will see a "News" page which is an example of scaffolding (this is a similar page which you can create using scaffolding template).
Now if you open this page you will be accessing http://localhost:4502/cf#/etc/scaffolding/geometrixx/news.html and here you will see already design page.
1. if you access page properties from side kick you will see how this page is configured using target template and target path
2. if you go to design mode using side kick you will see how the component has been design (which is similar to what appears on page when you came first time)
3. Now come back to normal view of that page (http://localhost:4502/cf#/etc/scaffolding/geometrixx/news.html) and author this page with some dummy property and click on "create" button. I know here you can not author the image as it comes as disabled empty box.
4. once you author the content and click on create button it will create an instance of scaffolding page on the same page you can see the link on the top of same page.
5. Now access that page, when you access that page the page will take reference of target template you configured using pare preoperties to display the page.
6. On this page you will see the same component you configured and when you will edit it you can author the image from there directly.
Now question is why to configure same component two times half data from scaffolding and half data from page but answer is the design is correct because the page design which you have created (for example http://localhost:4502/cf#/etc/scaffolding/geometrixx/news.html) is just proto type to create actual page instances and prototype can not holds values for page instance (specially image until it doesnt configured correctly for page instance in this case) which exist only when you create pages using the scaffolding page prototype. Otherwise you have to do more customization by extending scaffolding "/libs/wcm/scaffolding" changing the code and design OR you have to design it according to your target page strtucture which you have configured in page properties (specially image node).
If you want to create your own page prototype using scaffolding template and want image to associate just copy paste "/etc/scaffolding/geometrixx/news/jcr:content/dialog/items/items/tab2" node to your newly created scaffolding page prototype.
for more information on scaffolding just refer -http://dev.day.com/docs/en/cq/current/wcm/scaffolding.html
I hope it clarifies your question and help you to proceed. Let me know if you need more information or help.
That's great help , Thanks Pawan .