3 Replies Latest reply: Dec 19, 2012 12:39 PM by davemakes RSS

When editing movieclips, how do you judge its colors in relation to the scene?

davemakes Community Member

Let's say you've got a scene with a handful of movieclips on it. When you double-click a movieclip to edit it, the rest of the scene is greyed a bit to show which elements you are currently editing. Helpful, right?

The problem is, how do you reference the colors of the rest of the scene while you are editing the mc? Do you have to switch back and forth between the scene and the mc to make sure things like colors and transparencies are exactly what you want them to be?

Here's where it becomes more than an inconvenience: If I have a movieclip that changes over time, when you flip back to viewing the entire scene, the movieclip displays only its first frame. How can I preview how its colors look in the scene on anything but the first frame?

• 1. Re: When editing movieclips, how do you judge its colors in relation to the scene?
          Ned Murphy MVP

Unfortunately, you are kinda stuck with either going back and forth to get/compare color information OR you can temporarily copy the other elements inside the movieclip so that you have them presented unfaded.

For the movieclip/frame matter you're in the same boat where it might be easiest to copy the other items into a layer just to have them for refrence.  If you want to go thru the frames of the movieclip to see how it variies in its timeline, the only way I know that you could do this would be to temporarily convert it to a graphic symbol.  Graphic symols will show whatever frame you happen to be on, unlike a movieclip symbol.

• 2. Re: When editing movieclips, how do you judge its colors in relation to the scene?
            Sangeeta JY

There is a way out on WINDOWS, you can use  duplicate window(Window>duplicate window(CTRL+ALT+K)),  undock it and place it next to original window and do changes in the edit mode of the mc in duplicate window and see how it look on scene in the original window .With this you dont have to move back and forth between scene and mc.Similar way you can see mc in different frames using duplicate window.Hope this helps.

• 3. Re: When editing movieclips, how do you judge its colors in relation to the scene?
              davemakes Community Member

This is an amazing solution! Trying it out now, I've noticed this weird bug: When you click in the color selector (not sure of its proper name, the one that shows a gradient of a color with saturation on the x and brightness on the y) the selected object will change color. If you click and drag it around, though, it will not change the color at all. Also doesn't work if you click and drag on the number values for the hue/saturation/brightness. This is only an issue when you have two windows open side-by-side.