4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2012 2:42 PM by BenjaminMarkus

Audio Data is Distorted on Import of Video file from Mac

Lou Pica

I took a video with my iPad, uploaded to iPhoto, exported to my Mac as a MOV file. When the video was imported the audio part had been distorted where the beginning kept on playing over and over.

The video is 8.26 minutes long and is 1.2GB on import. 

I tried lifting directly from iPhoto and exporting.  The same exact distortion appeared.  I am using an iMac with OSX 10.8.2 and after effects 11.0.2.

I upgraded the Ae product and I can see the distortion on every import and it shows up on the timeline audio representation.

The video runs for a while with audio slightly off until about 3 mins, then goes back and cuts off some of the beginning of the audio and repeats it over and over and it's out of sync with the video.

I'd like to use Ae for the effects it can add, but if it can't handle simple video editing I don't know what to do.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Audio Data is Distorted on Import of Video file from Mac
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          Lou Pica wrote:
          I'd like to use Ae for the effects it can add, but if it can't handle simple video editing I don't know what to do.

Well, After Effects is not video editing software and I would not recommend using it as such. It is for compositing, creating motion graphics, adding special effects, and doing complex color correction. Use a program like Premiere, Final Cut, or Vegas to do your editing.

However, you shouldn't be having audio issues with your footage such as you describe and this seems to indicate a codec problem.

I know you're making your video as a mov file, but what codec is it?

Does the video play without problems in Quicktime?

How does it play in an editing program?

Have you installed any codec packs such as k-lite? If so, we found your problem. Codec packs like k-lite will really mess up a system.

• 2. Re: Audio Data is Distorted on Import of Video file from Mac
            Lou Pica Level 1

Thanks so much for the reply... Yes it does play fine directly on the Mac.   I actually wanted to do this project as a TEST for Ae.   I like the tool and the interface and was trying something simple....it's a 8.26 min song from a couple of guys, and I wanted to pull in a bunch of stills and flash them around as the song played.  Bought the recent CLOUD version of Adobe which has all the products in it.  I have premier, and I also own Final Cut.  Normally I would have chosen final cut but Final Cut always fights me when it comes to rendering the files.   They are always too big and it takes tons of time to render.   Ae was really slow too until I shut down everything on the Mac except it.  Safari on the Mac brings it to a crawl lately...

The issue with the file we spoke of starts right from the import.  I would run to Final Cut now but the video is basically done except for the audio on the 8 minute clip, which I have to extract a walrus who got into the shot. 

I dont' think I have any codec packs unless they were installed by something else...

Thanks

• 3. Re: Audio Data is Distorted on Import of Video file from Mac
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If your edit is already done, just export the audio as a WAV file using the Adobe Media Encoder and pop that file into After Effects.

• 4. Re: Audio Data is Distorted on Import of Video file from Mac
                BenjaminMarkus Level 4

When you said the distortion shows up on the "timeline audio representation," were you refering to the audio waveform as shown in step "B" in the screenshot below?  If so that sounds like After Effects is having trouble reading the audio from your clip and as Szalam says it may be a codec issue.  What type of codec is the clip you're working with?

Audio+Ram_Preview_Update.png