0 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2012 11:49 AM by ohmitmedia

Help!  Frames Dropped During Live Capture

ohmitmedia

I am trying to switch over to Adobe Premiere from Final Cut Pro, but am having a serious problem with frames being dropped during capture.  When I do have frames dropped, it doesn't even save the video that it was capturing.  All that I get is a corrupt file that won't open.

I'm using a Mac Pro with 3.0Ghz Dual Core Xeon Processor, 9GB 667MHz RAM, and a BlackMagic Decklink SDI card, and am trying to capture 720p 59.94fps video over SDI.  I am capturing to an interal 1TB 7200RPM dedicated scratch disk that is not used for ANTYHING but live capture.  The OS is 10.6.8.

I only have 3 capture options in Premiere using the Blackmagic card: 8-bit, 10-bit or DVCHDPRO.  I want to use 8-bit, because DVCHDPRO is 960x720 instead of 1280x720.  But, I have tried DVCHDPRO and it did not work either.  I can successfully capture video for 5-10 minutes, but then I always get the Warning that frames were dropped and Premiere fails to save the video properly so that it can be opened.

I have used BlackMagic's speed test app and determined that my internal hard drive's data rate is plenty sufficient for both 8-bit and DVCHDPRO.

Final Cut Pro 6 has always captured perfectly fine using this exact setup.  It even gives me a lot more capture options for the BlackMagic card - I'm not sure why I'm limited to only those 3 capture settings in Premiere.

I would really appreciate some help to point me in the right direction to get this resolve.  Thanks!