6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2012 1:37 AM by luckynorth RSS

Change radius of vector rectangle after drawing

luckynorth Community Member

Hi,

because Adobe is not able to do it, i was so happy to find this script:

http://photoshopscripts.wordpress.com/2012/11/29/rounded-rectangle-radius-resizer/

It does exactly what i want. Changing the corner radius of a vector rectangle after drawing. I can change it again and again and define the radius of the corners independently too.

Maybe some of you find it as helpful as it is for me!

Mario

• 1. Re: Change radius of vector rectangle after drawing
          c.pfaffenbichler Community Member

I think you may be missing the point; why should Adobe invest resources in implementing something that can be achieved in Photoshop already (as said Script seems to proof)?

• 2. Re: Change radius of vector rectangle after drawing

Because this script exist since November this year! Adobe does nearly nothing for Fireworks in the last years. Fireworks is the right tool for webdesign. I'm sure, the CS 6 version of FW will be the last. Without such elemental things like changing the border radius, Photoshop will never be a replacement for FW in webdesign.

Adobe has enough resources for things like video editing in Photoshop. There is an application for that and i'm sure, Premiere will not die like Fireworks. And when Adobe want to force everybody to use Photoshop for webdesign, they should make this software useable for webdesign. We're not talking about a software for 20 bucks. I expect professional possibilities from a professional software with a disproportional price.

Mario

• 3. Re: Change radius of vector rectangle after drawing

Because this script exist since November this year!

If this capability were so important to Photoshop users they could have made such a Script years ago (or have someone make it for them).

I expect professional possibilities from a professional software with a disproportional price.

I am an employee at an image editing company so I don’t have to buy the currect version of Photoshop myself to be able to work with it, so it’s easy for me to talk … but what do you base the claim of disproportionality in pricing on? That Gimp is free? On price and number of sold licenses of Photoshop as compared to the development and maintenance costs? (If so where did you get the numbers?)

• 4. Re: Change radius of vector rectangle after drawing

Not every Photoshop user is able to write such a script. It's not as simple as recording an action. So many Photoshop users didn't know the possibilities of Fireworks. And if they know, they don't wanna change their workflow. Which i really can understand. So, many of them think it's normal to draw the rounded rectangle again and again until the radius is correct.

The point is, that Adobe will Fireworks let die. I have to use Photoshop at some day. And every time i'm trying again to use it for webdesign i run in such situations like the border radius thing (and many others). In the end, i can do the same things with PS, but it takes longer or the workaround is so ridiculous.

I'm a freelancer who has to buy the software for myself. The point is not Gimp. I'm a Mac user. So i can't look at that ugly Gimp UI all the time. No, the possibilities of Gimp are not enough for me. The point is, that outside the US the price of Adobe products are ridiculous different from the US prices. I'm from Germany, but my system and all of my apps are running in english language. I don't wanna have a DVD, it's just a download. Why, for example i've to pay nearly 35 % more for the Creative Cloud? Just because i live in Germany.

And come on, 950 € for Photoshop when Final Cut Pro X is available for 270 €. And i think, these two apps are comparable in terms of development and maintenance cost. So i expect a little more than "if you need a function, write a script ..."

Mario

• 5. Re: Change radius of vector rectangle after drawing

The point is, that Adobe will Fireworks let die.

I don’t do web design, so I have no experience with Fireworks and no idea about Adobe’s plans regarding this application.

I’ve been using Freehand for a long time prior to Macromedia being purchased by Adobe and the application being discontinued. Naturally I work with Illustrator now and it offers some superior features and in some respects superior performance – but in some aspects it is lacking compared to Freehand. (And my »pet peeve« with Illustrator is a bug that’s been maintained for six versions now.) So I can appreciate that you are trepidatious about the prospect of losing a much used program.

But are there any official statements about the future of Fireworks?

Not that a company couldn’t »change its mind« …

• 6. Re: Change radius of vector rectangle after drawing

No official statements until December, the 11. ...

But for me it's obvious. Every new version of Photoshop is full of new features and the only new thing in Fireworks CS 6 was the export of CSS properties. I've added this functionaliy in PS with a excellent plug-in called "CSS Hat". The guys wrote this plug-in in a few days. So, what have Adobe done in the development of Fireworks the last year?

And there is no Fireworks in the list of shortly (December, 11. ?) retina-ready updated Adobe apps. So, i think that Fireworks is like the fifth wheel that Adobe no longer wants.