2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2012 11:45 PM by Mylenium

Can't Create Shadows

supa-nova6

Create shadow catcher is grayed out when i make access target selection options. Anyone know what I may be doing wrong? I'm just getting started so I want to learn the features before doing anything "real"

Screen Shot 2012-12-05 at 1.39.14 PM.png

• 1. Re: Can't Create Shadows
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

The camera tracker is unable to determine any depth information from your scene. This could either be because your shot has no parallax or because you manually choose Tripod Pan in the effect settings. A screenshot of the Effect Controls panel would help.

By the way, if you're just getting started with After Effects, you're starting at the wrong end. Working with trackers in 3D is advanced. I very strongly recommend that you start here to learn After Effects: http://adobe.ly/bjBT3P

• 2. Re: Can't Create Shadows
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

As Todd said, your shot has no depth. There is no good perspective reference because it's a night shot and the most prominent features are the lights and windows which the tracker onbly perceives as isolated points, not part of a surface or edge. you will have to look into other tools that allow placing manual reference points, if that is critical to you.

Mylenium