3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2012 2:58 PM by Peter Spier

InDesign Out of Memory?

Celtic__Wings

I have a user that is getting a pop up "Out of Memory" while in InDesign.  CS6.    She will get the pop up during random things.  Several questions I have asked to the user what is happening when the pops up happens like is she exporting, printing, likeness of things in the different windows like fonts.  She said it happens on any document on an action as simple as clicking on a picture to moving around in a file.  While I am not a user of InDesign please keep that in mind when trying to help.  Here are the specs of the PC.

RAM Total:

1. 16.00 GB

Processors:

CPU Chip Count: 1
      CPU Core Count: 6
      CPU0: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 0 @ 2.3GHz (6 cores)

OS Name:

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x64

Disk #1:

Drive C: (Physical Disk) FileSystem: NTFS Used: 77.28GB Total: 450.62GB [ 17.15% Full ]

I know you will need more information than this to try and help, please just let me know what is needed and I will post tomorrow.  I am also waiting on a response from the user as to what other applications are running when this happens.  I know she runs Photoshop in the background most of the time.

ALSO:  Perhaps there is a way to allocate more memory for InDesign to use?  I don't know if that is a built in feature or not. 

Thanks, just let me know what else you will need from me as I cannot find anything on the forums that are related to this for Windows 7.

• 1. Re: InDesign Out of Memory?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Windows does it's own memory allocations, and InDesign is a 32-bit program so it can't see more than 3 GB anyway, so you have more than enough RAM (I also run Win 7 with 16GB of RAM and commonly keep Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, a browser and email open, and soometime office applications, too, without a problem). Out of memory error are pretty rare and indicate, I think, some kind of document problem -- lots of complex vectors pasted in or many embedded images, or perhaps a bad font.

More information will certainly help. You might want to check the file size on any ID file that shows this problem. Anything over perhaps 20 mb is starting to sound large, and if you are looking at gigabytes there is a file problem of some sort.

• 2. Re: InDesign Out of Memory?
            Celtic__Wings Level 1

Will post more for you tomorrow!  Does ID create a crash file for this type of message that may help?

• 3. Re: InDesign Out of Memory?
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

It produces wonderful crash reports.... on the Mac.  Windows reports are pretty much useless.

Knowing what your users are doing, and how repeatable the problem is will help. In the meantime, take a look at Troubleshoot font problems | Windows on the off-chance it's a bad font. ID is more sensitive to font trouble than any other application on the planet, I think.

It would also be instructive to create a brand new user account for the person having trouble and see if things clear up. That points to a problem inthe user profile rather than something system wide, but if the problem is intermittent it may not be easy to tell.