9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2012 6:25 AM by habsnutt2

Data management

habsnutt2

We have a commercial application that is used by Environmental Health Departments in the USA to capture inspection information.  We see a use for FormsCentral to allow applicants to complete online applications for restaurants, septics, pools etc.  But, we would need to be able to import the data into our proprietary application?

I see that data can be exported to an XLS file, but how would we be able to retrive that XLS file.

Thx in advance.

• 1. Re: Data management
          dave_m_k Adobe Employee

From the Response tab, choose File > Export Responses.  You'll be prompted choose your output range (entire table or just visible cells) to then save the .XLS or .CSV file.  As for importing it into your proprietary application, I'm afraid that step is on you.

Let us know if you have any questions!

-David

• 2. Re: Data management
            habsnutt2 Level 1

Thx for yours David,

I would really like to speak with someone about our requirement.  Is there

a sales or tech support person I can call?

Best Regards,

Paul Ryan,

Paragon Bermuda (Canada) Ltd

Tel: (905) 886-4816 ext 211

The  information  in  this  Internet e-mail is confidential, and it may

also be privileged  or  subject  to copyright.  It is intended solely  for

the addressee. Any unauthorised use, disclosure, distribution  or copying

of this communication, or  any  action  taken or omitted to be taken in

reliance on it, by anyone other than  the intended recipient is strictly

prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you are not the intended recipient,

please delete this Internet e-mail.

• 3. Re: Data management
              habsnutt2 Level 1

Hi David,

Let me explain the business process we are considering using your product for and maybe you can tell me if it is a good fit.

1. The public will click on a Link on the Client web site to "Submit an Application"... for a Restaurant for example.
              2. They will be redirected to the Restaurant Permit  Application form that we have created on your FormsCentral site and will complete it and submit it... perhaps using Paypal to make the payment as well.
              3. We need to be able to get the Application data they submit in XLS format so we can import it into our database.  We can do the import easily as long as we can get the XLS file, or even just the PDF and we can convert it at our end before doing the Import.  Is there an API we can use or can we set up rules to e-mail either the PDF or XLS file to a pre-defined e-mail address?

Is that possible with the FormsCentral system or is there another Adobe product that is better suited to this business process?

Thx in advance for your help.

Paul

• 4. Re: Data management
                RandySwineford Adobe Employee

#1 and #2 work, no problem. #3 - you can manaully export the data to Excel/PDF. We currently do not provide an API to extract the data.

Randy

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Data management
                  habsnutt2 Level 1

Thx for the reply Randy, but I'm not sure what you mean by "you can manaully export the data to Excel/PDF".  I read that the Application forms are e-mail enabled... can't the completed Application PDF be forwarded to a pre-defined e-mail address on Sumbit?

If not, is there another Adobe product that is better suited to our requirement?

I think we could clear up the issues in a 3 minute conversation... is there a way to speak to a person rather than continuing this e-mail exchange?

• 6. Re: Data management
                    profabu

habsnutt2 wrote:

I read that the Application forms are e-mail enabled... can't the completed Application PDF be forwarded to a pre-defined e-mail address on Sumbit?

Yes, they can. The way to do it is through co-authoring. In design mode click on the Share button, and add the email address as collaborators. Your partners will have access to the forms to design them or just view the responses.

If you would prefer them somebody just view the answers, maybe as PDF files, there is a workaround to do this: also click on share button, choose Publish responses, when Published window appears click Copy link, open your email client and paste the link( Ctrl+V or Cmd+V on Mac), and send this link to the email address you would like to. Your partner will see the responses, as a table, but clicking on the numbering cell a down arrow appears, the last row is Download response as PDF form, this way you can download the filled out form.

Is it what you are looking for?

• 7. Re: Data management
                      habsnutt2 Level 1

I think so... I defined the business process we are trying to automate earlier in this discussion thread, but I'll repeat from a couple of e-mails here:

We have a commercial application that is used by Environmental Health Departments in the USA to capture inspection information.  We see a use for FormsCentral to allow applicants to complete online applications for restaurants, septics, pools etc.  But, we would need to be able to import the data into our proprietary application?

I see that data can be exported to an XLS file, but how would we be able to retrive that XLS file.

Following is the process:

1. The public will click on a Link on the Client web site to "Submit an Application"... for a Restaurant for example.
                      2. They will be redirected to the Restaurant Permit  Application form that we have created on your FormsCentral site and will complete it and submit it... perhaps using Paypal to make the payment as well.
                      3. We need to be able to get the Application data they submit in XLS format so we can import it into our database.  We can do the import easily as long as we can get the XLS file, or even just the PDF and we can convert it at our end before doing the Import.  Is there an API we can use or can we set up rules to e-mail either the PDF or XLS file to a pre-defined e-mail address?

We just need to be able to automate the collection of the Application data submitted... is this possible?

Thx in advance

• 8. Re: Data management
                        profabu Level 2

Hello,

Click on the View Responses tab, then in the upper right corner File › Export responses… › Filetype .xls or .pdf or .csv, and save.

From here you can setup an automated process to put the data into your database. 

• 9. Re: Data management
                          habsnutt2 Level 1

Thx for that.  I set up a trial and have created a form and manually exported it to Excel.

Can we automate the "Export Responses" function and how do I setup an automated process to put the data into our database?