5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2012 7:43 PM by Jim_Simon

Video recording format question ...

joneisele Level 1

I'm sanity checking how I record video for 2013.   I have no issues buying a new camera if recommended.   In this case I'm referring to recording "home movies" - a kid's birthday party, spring break trip, band concert, etc.  My intended target is to watch on a big screen TV via Blu-ray disc, streaming to a PS3, occassional playback on a computer.    My current consumer camcorder records in 1080/60p, 1080/60i, and 1080/24p.  I have seen other consumer camcorders offering 1080/30p.  

I will also have some footage shot on a Droid phone in 1080/30p, although that amount of video will be minor in comparison; I just mention in case of minor influence on an opinion.  And by "streaming" on my PS3 I mean playback of a compatible format file via a DLNA server without transcoding on the fly.   Presently the PS3 can play all the formats as far as I know.  I've been shooting in 1080/60i.

What recording format would you recommend?

• 1. Re: Video recording format question ...
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't do BluRay, but I **think** I read in a message here that 1080 60p is not a supported format

Read Encore Import Formats http://forums.adobe.com/thread/622722 to see more (and, I could be wrong about 1080 60p)

• 2. Re: Video recording format question ...
            joneisele Level 1

There is no Blu-ray disc format for 1080/60p or 1080/30p, only 1080/30i, 1080/50i, and 1080/24p ... and then some other lower resolutions.  I think that's right ...

I have been shooting in 1080/60i for that reason, but then perhaps it makes sense for some other reason to consider one of the other formats, future use included.   Note my target is BD and PS3 and PC.   I wasn't sure why so many cameras are coming out with 30p and 60p these days.   And it looks like PP transcodes video on export even if the export settings are the same.   Again, sanity check here ...

• 3. Re: Video recording format question ...
              SimonHy Level 2

Even though it's not a supported bluray format, I'd record at 60p. Converting from 60p to 60i is a really easy process, each field has more data than it needs as a full frame is recorded for each one, so there is no quality lost, and having that extra data gives you a lot more options if you want to do slow mo shots.

The reason some cameras are recording at 30p even though it's not part of the bluray spec is that a 60i signal made from a 30p source is effectively 30p. It just plays each frame twice as fields, rather than two different fields as would happen with an interlaced clip.

• 4. Re: Video recording format question ...
                joneisele Level 1

Hi Simon - this opinion is precisely the kind of thing I wanted to know, if one of the other formats affords more versatility, especially for the future, with no loss in the short run with my intended targets.   It will be interesting to see what others have to say here.   Thanks, Jon

• 5. Re: Video recording format question ...
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I personally prefer the 'filmic' look of 24p over the 'video' look of 30i and 60p, so pretty much everything I shoot is at 1080p/24.  This can go onto Blu-ray, DVD, web and computer with minimal change.