4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2013 7:11 AM by ECBowen

Updating Video Card for Premiere, AE, and Max 2013

dvedvedve

Hi,

I have a computer that is a little over 3 years old.  It has two Zeon W5580 3.2 GHz processors, 64GB of memory, a Quadro FX 4800 graphics card, SSDs, and a LSI RAID controller.  I would like to keep it for about another year and typically perform updates prior to the time I am on Christmas vacation.  

After reading some of the posts here, I am thinking of upgrading the Quadro FX 4800 to one of the PNY GTX 680 4G cards as they are fairly reasonable priced, and I am wondering if I would see any noticeable speed increases in the applications I use:  Adobe Premiere CS6, After Effects CS6, and 3D Max 2013.

I would also consider the GTX 690 as the two cores could be used in After Effects, and the new Quadro K5000.

Thanks in advance.

David

• 1. Re: Updating Video Card for Premiere, AE, and Max 2013
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The CS5 Benchmark http://ppbm5.com/ will let you view other user's results... I think you may sort on card type

• 2. Re: Updating Video Card for Premiere, AE, and Max 2013
            Greg_Estes

We have some new benchmark results for the GTX 690 in After Effects CS6 and 3ds Max 2013.

According to our tests, which use a GTX 480 as a representative baseline:

GTX 690 is:

76% faster than a GTX 480 and 33x faster than CPU alone for the new extruded object ray tracing capability in AE

38% faster than a GTX 480 and 3.9x faster than CPU alone for iray rendering and 19% faster in interactive graphics

68% faster than a GTX 480 for Chaos V-Ray RT rendering with 3ds Max (4x faster than CPU alone)

I don't have the Premiere Pro numbers in front of me but as others have mentioned PPRO CS6 will only use one GPU so the performance will not be faster than a GTX 680. (It will be faster than the reference GTX 480 but by how much I'd have to dig up). You'd buy the GTX 690 primarily for multi-GPU applications such as those mentioned above.

In terms of the K5000, the Quadro will not (usually) be faster than the GTX 690. Quadro's have advanced features such as larger graphics memory, additional SDI and stereo capabilities and they are built and tuned specifically for the workstations in question so the value is pro features and enterprise grade longevity not "faster than a GeForce". Obviously if you are doing work in Max and your scene fits into the larger memory on the Quadro but doesn't fit into the GeForce memory that will greatly affect your performance and the Quadro will be a lot faster in that situation.

• 3. Re: Updating Video Card for Premiere, AE, and Max 2013
              Alex - DV411 Level 2

Previous posters covered most of the angles, I think, with the exception of Quadro vs. GeForce in 3DS Max.  I believe Quadro cards rotate skeletons faster than GeForce ones, in 3DS Max, Maya, etc., but can't yet find benchmarks to prove it.  In that case, and if you do like smoothly-rotating skeletons, K5000 seems like the best option.  For Pr and AE purposes, GeForce 670 and 680 are considered best performing cards.

• 4. Re: Updating Video Card for Premiere, AE, and Max 2013
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

http://usa.autodesk.com/3ds-max/system-requirements/#

Direct3D 10 technology, Direct3D 9, or OpenGL-capable graphics card

Geforce and Quadro cards should work just as well in Max since they have gone Direct X now with the latest version.

Eric

ADK