5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2012 2:51 PM by ECBowen

Optimal temps for video drives?

Glitchdog Level 1

We are trying to determine if we need better cooling for our video drives. Over the last several years we have lost several drives within a year of use. Heat or just defect? In the past, with a different video editing software, we were getting dropped frames when the drives would get too hot. At least that was our assumption in interacting with a friend in the video biz, along with putting a fan on the drives and finding them stabilize. We are using software that reads the sensors on the drives now, but did not realize this was possible when we had all the issues.

I've been googling like mad trying to find any testing done. I find lots of stuff related to the official spec temps for drives and such, but nothing much on optimal drive temps for video editing purposes.

Thoughts, comments, links to research?

Currently our RAID is a 5 drive enclosure (only 4 drive in the raid) with internal powersupply and two internal fans.

• 1. Re: Optimal temps for video drives?
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Currently most standard 7200 RPM drives idle around 38C to 48C and run up around 46C to 54C at continual load. Some drives run cooler than others but keeping drives in that range is fine. If the drives are pushing into the 60C+ range then you are going to have problems.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: Optimal temps for video drives?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Eric, that sounds a bit high IMO. I usually have idle temps on my conventional disks around 21-22 C as reported by Speccy or HDTune Pro.

• 3. Re: Optimal temps for video drives?

I use HWMonitor to check and those temps are average I see for WD or Seagate drives. That is still well within spec based on manufacturer's spec's.

Eric

ADK

• 4. Re: Optimal temps for video drives?
                Glitchdog Level 1

Thanks gentlemen! For our internal drives and external RAID (Hitachi & WD) they are idling around 30 to 33 C. It's been a while since I checked after any intense editing/rendering, but I think they were getting up to 50C on the RAID.

Is there any average editing room temp to target these days? (Our RAID is currently in the editing room which varies from 20 to 26 C). I remember the days with A-B roll editing, all the decks, TBCs, etc that we tried to keep the temps at 21C. Our IT server room is kept at a constant 20C. Apparently Dell recommends 18 to 24C according to our IT guru.

• 5. Re: Optimal temps for video drives?

If the drives are only getting up to 50C then your drives are not failing due to heat.

Room/ambient temp really needs to remain 75F/23.8C or under. Above that the cooling efficiency starts dropping. Ideal Room temps are around 68F/20C so your IT person is right.

Eric

ADK