9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2012 1:14 PM by ECBowen

help with motherboard Intel DX79SR

antypanty_007

Hi all - i've been lurking on this forum for years! 

I had a previous id, but I forgot/lost that ages ago!) a big thank you for all the help over that time.

I think I last asked a question about Premiere 1.5, thats how long its taken me to get this system built :-)

My tech wants to use the Intel DX79SR mobo. 

All the research I've done seems to show (perhaps I'm just seeing what I want to see...) most people going with the Asus boards.  Could anyone shed any light on the Intel board and its suitability/issues?

I've tried searching these forums for this board but can't find anything...(famous last words)

Planned Rig:

i7 3930K (overclocked to a stable level)

Corsair H80

Corsair 16gb ram 1600mhz 2 x 8 dimms (to increase as I get some more cash!) - I know there could be issues doing this in stages but needs must...

120gb Intel SSD 330 Series for OS/Apps

1000watt PSU

I'l be using an old GTX 295 initally, and probably upgrade to a high end card in about 12 months

I will have 2 old 160gb 10K Velociraptors (deciding if that should be Raid 0 for Rushes or for Temp files)

2 x 2tb WD Green 7200rpm  as Backup for Rushes and other files (i may stick a small windows pagefile partition at the start of one of these)

Working initially with DSLR and 2k footage, but I'd like the headroom to be able to work with 4k in about 12 to 18 months, so will eventually build a bigger raid setup for rushes.

Cutting in PR CS6 and some small effects work in AE

Thanks for the help and support you provide to us all

A

• 1. Re: help with motherboard Intel DX79SR
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Where do you find overclock information for that MB?

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-dx7 9sr.html does not have such... at least that I found, but I did not look at every Intel page

• 2. Re: help with motherboard Intel DX79SR
            antypanty_007 Level 1

Thanks for the reply John

I dont know!  I didn't feel capable enough to make this pc my first go at overclocking, so one of the main reasons to have it built by someone else was that they would be able to do it.

My tech claims he has lots of O/C experience and has done lots on this motherboard, but I don't have the knowledge to ask the questions about the overclocking and the motherboard specifically.  he runs a well known local pc business, and has been in the community for quite a while.  I've bought other equipment through him, and he recovered a failed hdd for me a while back.  So I expect him to know his onions, but its a bit like a lawyer, if you don't know what questions to ask them, they may not know it's important to you!  He usually builds servers, so video editing isn't his primary business, although he says he has built several in the past year.

Are there any general questions I should ask of him related to this motherboard and overclocking?

• 3. Re: help with motherboard Intel DX79SR
              antypanty_007 Level 1

oh, I should also add - he was very concerned about the importance of South Bridge cooling, and he felt that Intel handled the warranty side of the mobo much better than Asus.  but that could be a regional thing, I'm in Australia.

• 4. Re: help with motherboard Intel DX79SR
                ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Intel has the best warranty for motherboards in the market currently with advance replacement within a day or 2 depending on where your at. However I highly suggest your tech test the ram extensively if you go with that board both at standard clock and overclocked CPU.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: help with motherboard Intel DX79SR

I have used both ASUS and Intel motherboards with equal success... but I do NOT overclock, so have never really looked into how to do that, or which motherboard will or won't

I have read PAST messages saying that Intel motherboards do not allow overclocking, so ASUS was better for someone who wants to overclock

I also THINK I've read recently (past 6 months or so) that at least "some" Intel motherboards now allow overclocking

If your system builder says he can overclock an Intel MB, I would rely on his expertise

• 6. Re: help with motherboard Intel DX79SR

The DX79SR allows overclocking.

Eric

ADK

• 7. Re: help with motherboard Intel DX79SR
                      antypanty_007 Level 1

Thanks for the advice,  it helps to know that you don't think there are any specific negatives with the board and knowing the warranty is good is helpful also.

In terms of testing the ram, are there specific programs you'd recommend or an online guide I can read that you recommend?

One other question - with the 2 velociraptors - if I put them in Raid 0 - would that be a better option for the Rushes/Work disk or the media cache/temp files.

I'm guessing it would be better for the rushes, to feed through the raw footage as quickly as possible to the timeline, especially if I am multi layered, as once its been "rendered" - its less intensive to read that back from a standard drive (to the preview window).  is that the correct assumption?

thanks again

• 8. Re: help with motherboard Intel DX79SR
                        http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1089842

has information about ram for a 2011 motherboard

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: help with motherboard Intel DX79SR

Download Memtest86 from memtest.org. That should be fine as long as you let it run through atleast a few complete test cycles.

Raid 0 whether 7200 or 10000 RPM drives will give you the ideal performance for most HD codecs with multiple layers due to the latency of mechanical drives. You can run them as single drives and still handle most HD codecs though.

Eric

ADK